CoinPeople.com

1757 medal King Frederick 11

miraclebaby

Hi all, I came accross this medal in my grandma's house and I have been trying to do some research on it to see if it has any value or if we should just throw it away. I have been looking for 3 days now on any information and only got as far as being told that it may me a medal from the battle of Lissa Dec 5 1757 and Rosbach....Any other information or value would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance

coin__2_.jpg

I meant to put this in the above....on the back of the medal it says QUO NIHL MAJUS accross the top. On the bottom it says ROSBACH NOV 5 1757. On the reverse side of the medal (which is pictured) it says FRED MAG D G BORUSS REX on top and on the bottom it says LISSA DEC 5 BPLSLAU RECEPCA DEC 20 1757. so i guess im kind of confused on why there is 2 different dates. Once again any help or information is greatly appreciated....thanks

coin1__3_.jpg

I meant to put this in the above....on the back of the medal it says QUO NIHL MAJUS accross the top. On the bottom it says ROSBACH NOV 5 1757. On the reverse side of the medal (which is pictured) it says FRED MAG D G BORUSS REX on top and on the bottom it says LISSA DEC 5 BPLSLAU RECEPCA DEC 20 1757. so i guess im kind of confused on why there is 2 different dates. Once again any help or information is greatly appreciated....thanks

The various dates refer to various battles in the Seven Years War. You can find these places - Rosbach, Lissa and Breslau - on this map for example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...sia%2C_1757.gif

Breslau (Polish Wrocław) is a major city in Poland, back then in Prussia. The motto "quo nihil majus" means something ... well, my Latin is pretty rusty ... like "Nothing as great". And the person depicted is King Friedrich II (Frederick) of Prussia. Don't ask me about a possible value though. :ninja:

Christian

Link to Some more Frederick the Great Medals FRED MAG D G BORUSS REX = Frederick the Great, by the Grace of God, King of Prussia. What is the size of your medal? It is a common medal I would say it is worth between $20 to $40 depending on size, but that is just a guide. Medals come under exonumia. Hope this is of some help.

Archived