CoinPeople.com

Microprinting

Dave M

I've been having some fun scanning some notes at 2400dpi and looking for microprinting. Here are a few French notes:

f-072-2-m.jpg

f-075-m2.jpg

f-076-1-m.jpg

As you can see, the printing is all caps, with no punctuation or spaces, and repeats cyclically so it's not obvious where the sentences start. I'm open to corrections on the above, but I think I've got them right.

I am having trouble decyphering the sentence and adding punctuation to the text on the 100f Cezanne note - maybe someone who speaks French can figure it out for me? It reads:

a mesure que l'on peint ondes si ne plus la couleurs harmonise plus le dessin se precise le dessin et la couleur

ne sons point distinct saufuret (at which point it repeats)

Anyone have an idea for me? Some of my word splits may be wrong here, but I've given it a shot.

Thanks

Dave

Very cool.

Now you have to tell me how you did that.

Did the image editing? It's just a matter of placing the various pieces together - the normal scan, a cropped out part of the 2400dpi scan, the text... All photoshop stuff.

Dave

Did the image editing? It's just a matter of placing the various pieces together - the normal scan, a cropped out part of the 2400dpi scan, the text... All photoshop stuff.

Dave

What kind of scanner do you use? My scanner isn't anything bad but it doesn't cooperate with me on coins or notes.

I have a flatbed HP Scanjet 5400c, it was less than $100, probably 4-5 years ago. So it's not a current model, I'd assume. I've always been happy with HP scanners.

Never tried coins, I can imagine some issues there. But what's you're doing wrong with notes?

Dave

I have a flatbed HP Scanjet 5400c, it was less than $100, probably 4-5 years ago. So it's not a current model, I'd assume. I've always been happy with HP scanners.

Never tried coins, I can imagine some issues there. But what's you're doing wrong with notes?

Dave

I've got an HP but scan/copy/printer. So it's not dedicated like yours. I've taken several dozen pics with it but, maybe I just don't understand the settings well enough, it just do the coins and notes justice - ESPECIALLY slabbed coins!

I'll play with it again tomorrow. Right now my comptuer doesnt want to scan. I'll use another computer.

Archived