CoinPeople.com

Exhibits

thedeadpoint

Hi all,

After seeing the exhibits at the ANA a few weeks ago, I was inspired to one year submit my own. I've thought of a few ideas so far, but I'm interested in what you guys have exhibited in the past.

If you've exhibited before, what was your project on?

If you haven't displayed before, what ideas do you have? What would you do?

Personally, I'd like to do a statistical study of coins. Perhaps a study of distribution or something like that.

My only exhibit was at the 2002 CNA convention.

I did it on "World 10-cent Equivalents", with a focus on Latin Monetary Union standard pieces (2.5g, .835 or .900 fine)

It was my first exhibit, and not having previously seen any, I simply displayed the coins in their 2x2's with some writeups. Looking back, it would had been much more professional to have used perhaps a piece of black cloth or posterboard as a backdrop for the coins, and write or print the descriptions in labels.

This has been one of the few areas which I still actively collect. The low mintages and values of many of the types make it inexpensive, but very challenging, so it's been quite fun for me in the years since.

My favourite exhibit at that convention was one which showed Roman coins of one emperor struck from different mints, with stories of that emperor's travels, battles, and conquests.

I think that something well researched and/or unusual would make it more interesting both for the audience and the judges.

I've done three exhibits for my local coin club show (certainly not as competitive as the ANA or large shows like that). One was on the history of the double eagle, it showed all the major types, 1-5 plus some currency redeemable in gold, to today's paper unbacked "double eagle." The second was on the art and history of large size currency, showing the symbolism in the various designs. The last one was on the Renaissance of American Coinage, and featured type sets from the Barber era and the new era with cent through double eagle design. Most of the coin exhibits had slabbed coins with labels adjacent to explain the design elements and basic composition. The labels were printed on computer and cut out and taped on the back next to the coins, with larger computer printed labels for titles (the older visitors really liked being able to read them easily). All this was on foam backed posterboard purchased at a local craft store. There are probably threads on them around here somewhere.

Hi all,

After seeing the exhibits at the ANA a few weeks ago, I was inspired to one year submit my own. I've thought of a few ideas so far, but I'm interested in what you guys have exhibited in the past.

If you've exhibited before, what was your project on?

If you haven't displayed before, what ideas do you have? What would you do?

Personally, I'd like to do a statistical study of coins. Perhaps a study of distribution or something like that.

I've exhibited at a couple of CSNS and ANA shows. My subjects have been Byzantine Coins of Alexandria and the Medals of Daniel Dupuis.

One of the key things to work on is having everything look nice, clean, and consistent. Framing the coins and descriptions together visually, being consistent with border sizes, and having the borders be clean cut all do a lot.

As far as statistical studies go, there's always a exhibit on this and it's usually the same scope which can get boring. Think of judges who have seen 30 years of Lincoln cent distributions! But you could certainly make this interesting. Maybe use state quarters, come up with a colorful map or background and something new and interesting in the statistics.

As far as statistical studies go, there's always a exhibit on this and it's usually the same scope which can get boring. Think of judges who have seen 30 years of Lincoln cent distributions! But you could certainly make this interesting.

Maybe use state quarters, come up with a colorful map or background and something new and interesting in the statistics.

So what have people typically done with this topic?

Here is one I want to do.

I get a bank bag of cents.

I mark them all with a UV pen.

I make the fraction 5,000/X

I slowly spend them.

I save up 5,000 cents.

I count (lets say 800 UV marked).

I make fraction 800/5,000

I use cross products.

5,000 (space) 800

-------- ------------

X (space) 5,000

5k . 5k= 25,000

800X

x.x=0

8,000 . 25,000 = 200,000,000 cents!

Don't you love algerbra?

So what have people typically done with this topic?

It usually involves going through a few hundred or thousand coins, writing down the years/mints, and plotting the results.

Here is one I want to do.

I get a bank bag of cents.

I mark them all with a UV pen.

I make the fraction 5,000/X

I slowly spend them.

I save up 5,000 cents.

I count (lets say 800 UV marked).

I make fraction 800/5,000

I use cross products.

5,000 (space) 800

-------- ------------

X (space) 5,000

5k . 5k= 25,000

800X

x.x=0

8,000 . 25,000 = 200,000,000 cents!

Don't you love algerbra?

Wait, what?

In any case, if I was ever to do an exhibit (presentation? What exactly makes it an exhibit? I like doing some types of research), I would probably do it on the evolution of a particular visage (i.e. Brittania on British pieces over time). I've always been curious how standards of beauty fluctuate and are reflected in, say, coinage. No one's allowed to steal this topic from me! :ninja: However, it would be difficult for a poor little college girl like me to get my hands on some of those older, rarer pieces in decent enough condition to scrutinize and display.

Wait, what?

It's 7th grade math.

Cross products is how you tell haw many ants are in one hill with out counting all of them.

You take a sample.

Sample (over) x

Release sample.

Collect same number as sample.

How many are marked?

Marked (over) sample.

If they are up and down fractions, you mutiply the corners. So lets say your sample was 5,000. You would go 5,000 (x) 5,000. Thats 25,000. then you have your sample. Lets say 800. You have 800 (x) x. You have to get rid of the x. So it's x (x) x. Thats 0, so a zero is added on to the end of your number. So you have 8,000 (x) 25,000.

Simple math.

Wow, we never learned that cross-sample stuff.

Meh, I'll be an English and/or Spanish teacher so it really doesn't apply to me anyway :ninja:

Don't worry, TG. I'm good at math (well thought I was) and I have no idea what he's talking about. NN, don't ever teach math or even TRY to teach it ;)

TG, I do like your idea (I won't take it!). Which series of "visages" would you study?

TG, I do like your idea (I won't take it!). Which series of "visages" would you study?

Lady Liberty. Who else?

I would need a LOT more material (and time) than what I have now available to me to work on it. But I'm just fascinated with how our Draped Bust turned into Morgan and then into Peace, etc. I'd need to have a lot of info about the sculptors, popular art in America at the time, etc. This could be done for any country, I suppose, like for Britain's Brittania (like I mentioned above), or Switzerland's Helen (Helvetica?) Or the early 20th century Portuguese pieces. I don't suppose it would work for a definite person, like Queen Elisabeth II, because her image can't exactly change with people's images of what beauty should be.

If I could use my first years after graduating this spring to work on this (or these, I might decide to take on Britain, etc.) and somehow get paid for it (I'd still be trying to put hubby though his master's and doctorate) I would in a heartbeat. I don't expect I'll have a lot of time to myself once this semester gets started; student teaching is in the winter and my first year of teaching would start after that. It's too bad.

Wait, what?

In any case, if I was ever to do an exhibit (presentation? What exactly makes it an exhibit? I like doing some types of research), I would probably do it on the evolution of a particular visage (i.e. Brittania on British pieces over time). I've always been curious how standards of beauty fluctuate and are reflected in, say, coinage. No one's allowed to steal this topic from me! :ninja: However, it would be difficult for a poor little college girl like me to get my hands on some of those older, rarer pieces in decent enough condition to scrutinize and display.

I've though of this before too. The topic that keeps coming to my mind is the evolution of the seated goddess. From Baal, to Zeus, to Roma, to Britannia, to Liberty.

I've never done any kind of display on coins but if I ever did, I would probably keep it simple. Possibly a layout and explanations on how and why our coins are the sizes they are. Not sure I've ever really heard a reason for coin sizes in the USA or anywhere for that matter. Now as an example, why did the cent start out as large as it is and then drop down to less than a Nickel in size? Why the heck is Dime so small? Why not make them out of Nickel so they could be proportionate to other coins? Wouldn't you think that the smaller the coin, the smaller the value? And then too why the different compositions of coins? Why not all the same? Just why is the cent the only one made of Copper? See there are lot of items that would make a possibly good display with associated information and at not much cost.

I've seen many similar displays at gun shows but they consisted of guns naturally. Even a great one of the guns of the Chicago Gangsters during the roaring 20's.

Archived