CoinPeople.com

What is it please?

Gill85

Hi,

I found this coin whilst strolling in my garden the other week after the tractor had finished turning the soil. It is very bright and shiny and its condition doesn't tally with with the date of either 1762 or 1782 I'm not sure.

I do however live in an old village in France with a history of through traffic since Roman times. I think the crest is Austrian.

Any information would be useful.

Many thanks

Gill85

coin_side_1.jpg

Coin_side_2.jpg

Hi,

I found this coin whilst strolling in my garden the other week after the tractor had finished turning the soil. It is very bright and shiny and its condition doesn't tally with with the date of either 1762 or 1782 I'm not sure.

I do however live in an old village in France with a history of through traffic since Roman times. I think the crest is Austrian.

Any information would be useful.

Many thanks

Gill85

Welcome Gill85.

Ebay same one

COIN DOCTORS ANSWER. The Website

This is a German Coin. The Legend, FRANC.D.G.R.I.S.A.GER.IER.REX. says Francis, By the Grace of G-d (D. G.) Emperor of the Romans ever August (Romanorum Imperator Semper August or R.I.S.A.) and King of Germany and Jerusalem (GER. IER.REX). The reverse says, TU DOMINE SPES MEA 1752 or Thou Lord is my hope, 1752. Fortunately most of Europe used Latin in their coin legends irrespective of the national language. At least one only has to learn the Latin abbreviations.

I'm not sure which German City State this coin is from, though I will guess it is a silver Thaler (approximately the size of a English Crown) and could very well be from Nuremberg. The value depends on the which type, denomination and grade but the most common of these Thalers trade in decent condition between US$100 - $300.

Hope that is a help.

Welcome Gill85.

Ebay same one

This is a German Coin. The Legend, FRANC.D.G.R.I.S.A.GER.IER.REX. says Francis, By the Grace of G-d (D. G.) Emperor of the Romans ever August (Romanorum Imperator Semper August or R.I.S.A.) and King of Germany and Jerusalem (GER. IER.REX). The reverse says, TU DOMINE SPES MEA 1752 or Thou Lord is my hope, 1752. Fortunately most of Europe used Latin in their coin legends irrespective of the national language. At least one only has to learn the Latin abbreviations.

I'm not sure which German City State this coin is from, though I will guess it is a silver Thaler (approximately the size of a English Crown) and could very well be from Nuremberg. The value depends on the which type, denomination and grade but the most common of these Thalers trade in decent condition between US$100 - $300.

Hope that is a help.

Thank you Constanis, that was very helpful. The coin I have is about 1,5cm across, very thin and more a brassy colour than the silver one on e-bay. I can now do a little more research.

Thank you again and

A Bientot

Welcome Gill85.

Ebay same one

Hope that is a help.

Hi Constanius, it's me again,

Thanks to your information I have been able to research my coin further and have unfortunately discovered that, as it sticks to a magnet although it weighs in at 4 grams (on my inaccurate kitchen scales) it is probably a fake. Any thoughts?

Gill85

PS. Another entry on 'e-bay' showed a sale of £54 for one found in scotland.

Check This Ebay Item

Looks like there are some fakes around, if they are contemporary to the original they are still worth something. If modern not really worth anything. If you compare your one, it is the same as this one, they both have a small mark below the bust. The silver one does not, plus it is different in many ways.

Translated French Site Looks like these fakes were made in 1975. Sorry.

Check This Ebay Item

Looks like there are some fakes around, if they are contemporary to the original they are still worth something. If modern not really worth anything. If you compare your one, it is the same as this one, they both have a small mark below the bust. The silver one does not, plus it is different in many ways.

Translated French Site Looks like these fakes were made in 1975. Sorry.

C'est la vie as they say over here.

Meantime, I think I have myself a job - a neighbour has just handed me a coin that she found. It is about the same size as the other but made of copper by the look of it. Need to research a little methinks.

A friend will be over in December with a metal detector so take cover or wait in anticipation, I could be a bit of a pest once I got going

Regards and thanks again

Gill85

...a neighbour has just handed me a coin that she found. It is about the same size as the other but made of copper by the look of it. Need to research a little methinks.

A friend will be over in December with a metal detector so take cover or wait in anticipation, I could be a bit of a pest once I got going

Regards and thanks again

Gill85

Suddenly I want to buy a metal detector and take a vacation to Europe.

And Gill85, we like pests who post photos of unknown coins here, so keep them coming.

Make them a little larger though.

Suddenly I want to buy a metal detector and take a vacation to Europe.

And Gill85, we like pests who post photos of unknown coins here, so keep them coming.

Make them a little larger though.

Well - you asked for it.

The coin is the same size almost as the last one (about 20mm) and also very thin. It is probably copper as the general colour is green but a bit of copper shines through in places.

I can't read anything from it but I'm sure you will enjoy the puzzle, but my neighbour is convinced that Napolean appears on it ????

I love mystery stories and this has really got my attention.

Gill85

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

Archived