CoinPeople.com

Bonjour and Hello

Hello everyone,

My name is Gill. I am English but for the last two years have lived in France and am enjoying every minute.

I have had an interest in coins of the worls since my father gave me a dollar in my early years (since lost some where down a sofa) and I will post a list of my collection when it is all photographed.

My initial reason for joining was to ask for someones' help in identifying a coin I have found (see posting) but this find has sparked my interest again.

The village I live in dates from the middle ages and was inhabited by Crusaders. It is undermined everywhere with tunnels in the chalk and so more finds will probably spring up.

A bientot

Gill85

Bienvenu Gill! We'd love to see your finds, whenever you can post them. And I'm very jealous of your being able to live in France. I collect French coins and jetons through the 19th century, as do several other people on this site. Glad to have you with us.

Frank

Bienvenu Gill! We'd love to see your finds, whenever you can post them. And I'm very jealous of your being able to live in France. I collect French coins and jetons through the 19th century, as do several other people on this site. Glad to have you with us.

Frank

Hello and thankyou Frank for your very nice note.

If there are any particular coins you would like I have a very good brocante nearby which sells a lot of coins. She had a framed collection of Napoleans on sale last time I was there, and a friend managed to snaffle up a silver 10 franc piece for 6€ (about £4.50 UK).

I hope to discover a few interesting bits as our garden has only ever been a field and then an orchard/vineyard. It has been used over the centuries as a walkway from the church nearby and just over our wall is the (still blocked) entrance to a subterranean route) under our land. The Hundred Years Wars (I live in the Vendee) has had a major impact on the local history.

Our french neighbours own a cottage for rent if anyone is interested in doing a land walking holiday in the area.

Thank you again and speak soon.

Gill85

Hello Gill from England by way of France. . Welcome to the Forum

(The village I live in dates from the middle ages and was inhabited by Crusaders. ) now that's cool. .

Hello Gill from England by way of France. . Welcome to the Forum

(The village I live in dates from the middle ages and was inhabited by Crusaders. ) now that's cool. .

Thank you for the nice welcome Rodney (is that you in the loo???)

I am still amazed that we are lucky enough to live here. Lots of bits of the original church have been pinched by people to build into their houses. The oldest one was destroyed by Henry and his gang eons ago. Its surreal to see a gargoyle in the side of a barn and all sorts of elaborate carvings in a house wall.

As you rightly say...

COOL or what ??

Gill85

Frank

Here are the latest finds Frank. Can you help at all??

Gill85

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

The village I live in dates from the middle ages and was inhabited by Crusaders. It is undermined everywhere with tunnels in the chalk and so more finds will probably spring up.

Now that's what I'm talking about! I live in Magna Carta land so have a passion for that era!

As for your latest find, looks similar to a Rose and Orb Nuremburg jeton.

Rose-Orb_UKDFD-4333s.jpg

Not sure though...

A very warm welcome to you! :ninja:

Hmmmm.... I love that Krauwinckel jeton! Can you transcribe any of the legend (the parts that are legible)? My first thought was that your coin might have a portrait on the front... Maybe a denier tournois of some sort, or maybe a double, like this double de Sedan:

1635doubledeSedanFMdelaTourobv.jpg

1635doubledeSedanFMdelaTourrev.jpg

Hmmmm.... I love that Krauwinckel jeton! Can you transcribe any of the legend (the parts that are legible)? My first thought was that your coin might have a portrait on the front... Maybe a denier tournois of some sort, or maybe a double, like this double de Sedan:

1635doubledeSedanFMdelaTourobv.jpg

1635doubledeSedanFMdelaTourrev.jpg

Thank you Frank,

The actual coin has gone over to the UK with it's owner, but hopefully with a little photo manipulation and a magnifying glass I may be able to define some more. I've instructed her to not try and clean it but it's very tempting as the inscriptions would be much clearer.

Her other friend is lending me a metal detector in December and so I'll be well away.

Incidentally - one of the tunnels we have here is known to stretch 5km to the next town. At the moment though, only a couple of hundred yards have been excavated.

Regards from over here

Gill

Archived