CoinPeople.com

Buying at the U.S. Mint

Vielwerth

Hi there,

I will go to the US next time. So I want to buy some rolls of presidental dollars and the bald eagle goldcoin.

Where can I buy this stuff in the US(except the onlineshop)?

What is about the tax ? Need I pay tex on the rolls or on the bald eagle?

Thanks

Sepp

Where in the US will you be visiting?

State sales tax varies by state.

You might also have to pay a tax when you declare the items in customs when you return to your country.(not sure what your countries rules are)

Where in the US will you be visiting?

State sales tax varies by state.

You might also have to pay a tax when you declare the items in customs when you return to your country.(not sure what your countries rules are)

Hi,

we will visit a city in north dakota.

I think there will be 7% tax on gold, when I declare them at the zoll

thanks

sepp

Hi,

we will visit a city in north dakota.

I think there will be 7% tax on gold, when I declare them at the zoll

thanks

sepp

I assume you mean the "Mehrwertsteuer"?

Check the German regulations first ... I don't know if this applies to EU countries as well, but in Switzerland, there is NO MWSt when importing gold coins ... only on silver and less valuable "Edelmetalle". Then again, I don't know about the rules for platinum or palladium...

Viele Grüße aus Zürich nach Münnerstadt ... und FF (= "viel Vergnügen") bei der anstehenden Amerika-Reise! :ninja:

Check the German regulations first ... I don't know if this applies to EU countries as well, but in Switzerland, there is NO MWSt when importing gold coins ... only on silver and less valuable "Edelmetalle". Then again, I don't know about the rules for platinum or palladium...

Viele Grüße aus Zürich nach Münnerstadt ... und FF (= "viel Vergnügen") bei der anstehenden Amerika-Reise! :ninja:

Hi,

I don't know if there's tax on gold.

I'll see.

But the big question is. Need I pay tax in the US?

And the bigger question, is there a shop of the U.S. Mint?

Thanks

Sepp

P.S. Grüazi ins Schokiland ;D

I believe the mint has retail shops at the mint facilities in Philadelphia and Denver and a separate shop in Washington DC. Last time I was at the San Francisco mint, there was no retail store, though I might have missed it since I was rushed. There are no tours or retail operations at the West Point mint. Keep in mind also, that you might look for coins at a local bank on your visit as they would charge face value for circulating coins with no tax. As others have said, any coins purchased as numismatic items at a premium are subject to the states' rules on that, some states charge tax, some don't, and even if they do, the highest sales tax rate would be around 10% with most less than that.

Yes, the MWSt (technically it would be the Einfuhr-Umsatzsteuer in his case, but that does not make a difference). In the EU the taxation depends on whether a gold coin is considered an investment piece (no MWSt) or a collector piece (MWSt). If you get terribly bored :ninja: you can go through the list of tax-free gold coins here:

(German) http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/d...8de00470061.pdf

(English) http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/e...8en00470061.pdf

Other gold coins may be exempt as well if they meet the bullion criteria.

As for buying "at" the US Mint, yes, both Philadelphia and Denver have mint shops - don't know whether these are actually operated by the Mint. They have a nice selection (I've been to the one in Denver only), not just coins but all kinds of souvenirs too. And yes, the US Mint does ship to Canada when you order online. Is a tad expensive though.

Christian

As long as you have access to the internet you should try to find out about coin shows and coin stores where your going. I'm not sure of just how many such places there may be in North Dakota but if any, that would be the best place to find any coins you may have in mind. Also, if you can travel while there, you may want to look for coin shows or stores in other, close places. As to getting coins back to Germany, that all depends on how you do that. About 10 years ago my son went to college in Krakow, Poland. On the way back he stopped in numerous countries and visited one of our relatives in Germany. For well over a year we sent items back and forth with no problems with just regular mail. I sent him film for his camera, Digital not big yet, and he sent me coins from all over the place. All went through with no problems. No taxes that way at all. Being a kid in school he didn't want to travel with tons of stuff so he basically sent me lots of his clothing, books, coins and just about anything that the mail would allow for size. No funiture, thank goodness. But coins went through all the time.

If you will be visiting North Dakota, you SHOULD be within a one-day one-way drive time distance from Denver, and yes, it WILL be an all-day drive (15-20 hours)! Remember that the USA is an almost incomprehendably VAST nation and some inter-city driving distances are very long - it's not like in Germany.

The US Mint has a gift shop on the west side of their plant in downtown Denver, it covers a full city block along Colfax Av between I-25 and the state capitol, you can park at a metered space on any street within a couple of blocks of it.

For its specific location, see:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

(you can zoom in and pan that image)

I assume that they charge Colorado state and any applicable city/local sales taxes (I'm not sure of the total percentage, but it shouldn't be any more than 6 or 7%) for anything that they sell there.

Keep in mind that the Denver USMint will be CLOSED for the duration of the Democratic Party's national nominating convention, to be held in Denver in a couple of weeks.

As for importing your purchases into Germany, I would check with German customs.

Enjoy the USA!

Mike

If you will be visiting North Dakota, you SHOULD be within a one-day one-way drive time distance from Denver, and yes, it WILL be an all-day drive (15-20 hours)! Remember that the USA is an almost incomprehendably VAST nation and some inter-city driving distances are very long - it's not like in Germany.

Well, they would have to fly to some major airport "near" ND anyway, I think, and one of the options would be Denver. Driving back and forth just to visit the mint would indeed be tough. Long distances won't be unfamiliar for people who travel in the EU's border free area - if you drive, say, from Barcelona to Hamburg, you will be on the road for a pretty darn long time too. Another option for a mint tour, by the way, would be Winnipeg. Since Sepp mentioned Canada - well, from ND it's not that far, and they do have tours there as well. Not the ideal place for buying US coins :ninja: but it could still be interesting.

And Sepp, keep in mind that until the end of November the limit for duty free allowances is pretty low. The new limit (€430) does not apply until 1 December ...

Christian

Last time I was at the San Francisco mint, there was no retail store, though I might have missed it since I was rushed.

the new san francisco mint does not routinely admit the public to its facility.

the old san francisco mint is not yet open to the public but members of the san francisco museum and historical society can get in on small tours of the unrefurbished facility while it is being rehabilitated.

Hi there,

thank you all.

But Denver is too far away, because we wanted to spend one night in dakota.

And yes, we mentioned about visiting the winnipeg mint, it's not too far away, I was in Winnipeg on monday,too

Sepp

Archived