CoinPeople.com

Hear the Bugle that sounded the Charge of the Light Brigade

constanius

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

Hear the actual bugle that sounded the charge of the Light Brigade Recording of the Bugle Scroll down to the "blue" here for mp3. The same bugle had been used at the battle of Waterloo.

Good web-site for the battle

Info From "Tickets and Passes of Great Britain and Ireland By William John Davis, Arthur W. Waters Reprint of the 1922 ed" : 177. O: A bugle with a crown above, crest, motto, etc of the XVII Lancers, all within an olive wreath. FREE MUSEUM. THE BUGLE THAT SOUNDED THE BALACLAVA CHARGE. In small letters T.P.

R: Union Jack, and branch of oak, above FREE MUSEUM. Legend: WITH THE SEASONS GREETINGS FROM T.G. MIDDLEBROOK. M. 10.

The T.P. is for T.Pinches of London

Hello Constanius -

Many thanks for the link to excellent site on British Battles!

I wonder if there is such a website covering Russian battles?

Bill

Sorry, but I do not know of one, perhaps some one will post a link. That one on the British battles is exceptional. This one covers The Battle of Poltava, and many other battles Good Battle Website

Thanks alexbq2 & Bill for your nice comments. Glad you enjoyed the post. Most of my topics & posts are in exonumia, but I have enjoyed posting the odd medal with a Russian connection as you have a very active forum.

Sorry, but I do not know of one, perhaps some one will post a link. That one on the British battles is exceptional. This one cover The Battle of Poltava, and many other battles Good Battle Website

Thanks alexbq2 & Bill for your nice comments. Glad you enjoyed the post. Most of my topics & posts are in exonumia, but I have enjoyed posting the odd medal with a Russian connection as you have a very active forum.

Thank you for the link.

But was there a bugle sounded at Balaclava? Found this on your website:

"Among the various controversies one is whether the charge was begun by a trumpet call and who sounded it. It seems likely that there was no call, just an order to mount followed by the orders “Walk, March”. The pace increased inexorably as the Brigade moved down the valley."

Thank you for the link.

But was there a bugle sounded at Balaclava? Found this on your website:

"Among the various controversies one is whether the charge was begun by a trumpet call and who sounded it. It seems likely that there was no call, just an order to mount followed by the orders “Walk, March”. The pace increased inexorably as the Brigade moved down the valley."

I guess with the "fog of war" & "the passage of time" we will never know for sure. I would personally think it more likely than not, as a verbal command might not have been heard by all the troopers. That is why they had buglers in the first place.

"Cavalry did not normally use a proper bugle, but rather an early trumpet that might be mistaken for a bugle today, as it lacked keys or valves, but had a more gradual taper and a smaller bell, producing a sound more easily audible at close range but with less carrying power over distance.

The bugle is used mainly in the military where the Bugle call is used to indicate the daily routines of camp. Historically the bugle was used in the cavalry to relay instructions from officers to soldiers during battle."

I think I would like to give the benefit of the doubt to Landfrey, because otherwise I have to think of him as a liar. Whereas someone not hearing the short burst on the bugle could be downwind with a lot of noise and commotion around him or just mistaken memory post-charge. I often have to double check if I have lock the front door (I invariably have, but still check)

Thanks for your input. History can be very interesting & controversial.

Archived