CoinPeople.com

Coins from the Russian Civil War era

DJB

There weren't too many varieties of coins from the fragmented Russian Empire, but the one's that were available were quite interesting. Here are some examples:

Armavir- 5 Ruble

1918 <Obverse>

Armavir- 5 Ruble

1918 <Reverse>

Armavir coinage was issued by the White Government in 1918 during the height of the civil war in North Caucasia.

Khwarezm SPR- 25 Ruble

1339AH/1921 AD <Obverse>

Khwarezm SPR- 25 Ruble

1339AH/1921 AD <Reverse>

For a short period between 1920-1923, the Khwarezm Soviet People's Republic issued their own coins and notes. This example dates from 1921 just as the civil war was winding down.

Very interesting examples.

I used to collect Russian Civil war era banknotes (because there weren't many coins issued in this period).

I also have a decent collection of notes from the Russian Empire and many from the civil war period. It's a fun and interesting, but it's also getting expensive now to aquire some of these pieces. Fortunately I bought most of mine 15 years ago when it wasn't as costly.

I also have a decent collection of notes from the Russian Empire and many from the civil war period. It's a fun and interesting, but it's also getting expensive now to aquire some of these pieces. Fortunately I bought most of mine 15 years ago when it wasn't as costly. To view my collection go to this link: http://www.banknotebank.com/user_view.aspx?id=Zantetsuken

Welcome to CoinPeople. Neat coins!

It seems everything Russian is getting expensive - coins, stamps, paintings and other art, really anything that is part of Russia's cultural heritage.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple more examples of civil war era coinage:

This is a 10 Tenge coin from the Emirate of Bukhara, dated 1338 AH/ 1919 AD. Bukhara gained independence in 1917 due to the revolution and maintained it until it became Soviet controlled in 1920.

Emirate of Bukhara- 10 Tenge 1919

Here is a 25 Pennia coin from Finland, dated 1917. This coin was issued just after the Russian Revolution, which it gained independence. The pattern is very similar to the issues when Finland was a duchy of the Russian Empire, except the royal crown had been removed. This was used as trasitional money until official currency was established.

Finland- 25 Pennia 1917

Archived