CoinPeople.com

1899 5 rub AG ? correct?

GHV

Hello to Forum people ;)

The question is simple, anybody heard about 5 ruble 1899 with initials AG? (NGC record does not have any, same as a Catalogs)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...hlink:middle:us

Thanks for advance.

GHV

No, I've never heard of this variety. Also, the image of the edge of the coin in this auction is anything but helpful. :ninja: It is probably one of the other two mintmaster varieties, perhaps (Э.Б) ... the wear (or weak strike) on the edge might make the "Б" look like a "Г". Those letters are really tiny, and unless you are near-sighted (like me) and can see them well without glasses close up, it is difficult to read them without magnification even when they are well struck and in good condition.

And this coin is nowhere near "PQ", either. Neither of the two existing varieties are particularly rare, so I'm sure you can find a better one if you wait a bit.

No, I've never heard of this variety. Also, the image of the edge of the coin in this auction is anything but helpful. ;) It is probably one of the other two mintmaster varieties, perhaps (Э.Б) ... the wear (or weak strike) on the edge might make the "Б" look like a "Г". Those letters are really tiny, and unless you are near-sighted (like me) and can see them well without glasses close up, it is difficult to read them without magnification even when they are well struck and in good condition.

And this coin is nowhere near "PQ", either. Neither of the two existing varieties are particularly rare, so I'm sure you can find a better one if you wait a bit.

Thanks for your reply Bobh,

I'm not planning neither Bid or to buy it.

On the edge says A.G. not E.B or F.Z.

That`s why I ask opinion of the people.

So no more opinions? :ninja:

IMHO it could be:

1. Possible Initials has been changes from EB/FZ to AG

2. Digit "8" (1898) changed to the "9" (1899)

2. Fantazy piece.

4. Rare example.

I have no other explanations. ;)

Condition of the coin looks like MS60-62 with weak strike.

I have no other explanations. :ninja:

Hmmmm.

Let's see.

A previously unknown Nicholas II gold coin is offered. It is apparently unlisted in all catalogs and unknown to collectors.

(But this time there is no fanciful story about how the coin was discovered mysteriously hidden inside the cover of a bible).

Rather than consign the coin to a major international auction where it could be examined by experts and then sell for enough money to pay off your mortgage, the seller instead decided to offer it on ebay where it now sits at $9.99 (less than melt).

Could it be that maybe it's a fake?

Hmmmm.

Let's see.

A previously unknown Nicholas II gold coin is offered. It is apparently unlisted in all catalogs and unknown to collectors.

(But this time there is no fanciful story about how the coin was discovered mysteriously hidden inside the cover of a bible).

Rather than consign the coin to a major international auction where it could be examined by experts and then sell for enough money to pay off your mortgage, the seller instead decided to offer it on ebay where it now sits at $9.99 (less than melt).

Could it be that maybe it's a fake?

yup. maybe. :ninja:

Archived