CoinPeople.com

Please help identify

savok

Here are some coins I know little or nothing about. The proof Funf Mark is obviously a reissue, stamped 1993 on the front, but I cannot find ANY info about it on the web (what metal, rarity, valuation, reason for being issued, etc.). I know that one of the coins is from Iran, but don't know how to tell the date or denomination; one is Chinese, also don't know the date and denomination or the rarity; and the final, very worn piece, is a total mystery to me.

Any help will be much appreciated! These were within a collection of mostly imperial Russian coins that my parents-in-law gave me years ago. (Eventually I'll put pictures up of my collection here). I have no clue how such pieces ended up in the Soviet Union.

unknown_coins.jpg

Can't help you much on the German coin, it's more like a commemorative medal and probably not a legal tender coin. The Iranian coin is a 2000 dinar, KM 1040 - can't make out the date but would be between 1909 and 1911. The Chinese coin is a Chihli 1898 (24th year of Kuang Hsu) 20 cent. The Ottoman looks to be a Turkey 2 kurush, AH 1293/27 or about 1901.

If you are interested in selling the Chinese coin, I'd be willing to pay $50 for it, assuming it is genuine (there are many fakes out there). If it has been in the family for years though, it probably is. The rest are not especially valuable.

Thanks for the info! What is "nvm"?

Not very much. :ninja:

As for that German piece, it sure is a medal. The Federal Republic of Germany does not "re-issue" coins from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. It is a third party restrike (some coin dealers have such pieces produced), not an actual coin. The real thing would cost up to €5,500 depending on the condition ...

Christian

sorry, its a 2000 dinar as said above not 1000....I didnt look it up and thought I recognized it...my bad.

nvm was because I double posted by accident and meant nevermind :ninja: Although it could mean not very much as in what I contributed to this thread ;)

The fourth coin has got a "toughra" of Sultan Abd al-Hamid II (b1844-d1918), the Ottoman Turkish ruler from 1876-1909 and the date is AH1293.

That's all I could make out from the small size picture. If you send me a better picture, I will try to help ID the coin for you.

Hope this helps.

The fourth coin has got a "toughra" of Sultan Abd al-Hamid II (b1844-d1918), the Ottoman Turkish ruler from 1876-1909 and the date is AH1293.

That's all I could make out from the small size picture. If you send me a better picture, I will try to help ID the coin for you.

Hope this helps.

See if this has more detail... thanks for your time!

arabic_small.jpg

Is it a km#735 1 Kurush (AH1293) 1876?

I have looked on coinarchives.com and found a KM 736 example:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...67&Lot=5223

but that coin is called a 2 kurush. There are some small differences between mine that that coin (aside from the big difference in condition). Interesting, there's also a KM 719 coin that has a hole in it and is considered very rare ("RRR") just above the KM 736:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...67&Lot=5222

So, if you are correct about the KM number, mine is between the two. Are there any online guidebooks with all the KM numbers pictured?

sorry, went out with friends after work, its friday after all :ninja:

Seems most of the info here is correct

Abdul Hamid II, AH1293-1327 (1876-1909AD) AH1293/17 (AH 1309)

KM #735 1 Kurush 1.2027 g. 0.8300 Silver .0321 oz. ASW

Obverse: Toughra : "el-Ghazi" to right

Mint: Qustantiniyah

Note: Varieties exist in the size of year and inscription

Now maybe someone can answer me something, under this coin there are 23 listing, same coin, same year, different mintages, different values. the dates are the same but they have different numbers at the end like AH1293//8 or AH1293//19...what does that last number mean? that number determines book value, in the case pretty low because of condition...anywhere from maybe 1 to 5 dollars bit more.

My understanding is that there is a date given for the beginning of the ruler's reign (AH1293 in this case), and the second date indicates the year of the reign (as with other Asian coins that use a reignal dating system)

In this case, there's IV (17 if I remember correctly) under the toughra, so this piece would actually be struck in AH1293+17-1= AH 1309

And the Krause entry would then be AH1293/17

Thanks for the clarification. If it is AH1293/17 then that would mean the mintage would be 6,440,000 and the worth for this coin in VG would be something like 1-2 USD up to XF (which this coin isnt) which would be around 5 bucks. I have 2005 catalog so the values might be slightly higher now.

Thanks for the clarification. If it is AH1293/17 then that would mean the mintage would be 6,440,000 and the worth for this coin in VG would be something like 1-2 USD up to XF (which this coin isnt) which would be around 5 bucks. I have 2005 catalog so the values might be slightly higher now.

My best guess is that AH1293 is the year, using a dating system (years "after Mohammed"), which when you have a very rough idea of when he died, you can add somewhat less than 700 to that number to equal our Anno Domini system.

Archived