CoinPeople.com

Unrecorded Cunobelin Unit

Sheddy

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum to show off a coin found at the weekend. It is an unrecorded variant of Spinks 320, a silver unit of Cunobelin. It was found in North Essex, exactly the area you would expect such a coin to be found. It has been submitted to both Spinks and Phillip DeJersey for inclusion in the Spinks book and the C.C.I.

The top pictures show the coin as found, the bottom ones show it after cleaning. The difference between this and Sp.320 is that the recorded variant has CVN (Cunobelin) exerge reverse and CAM (Colchester) obverse. On this variant it has CVN on both sides.

Before you all go out buying metal detetors, I have been detecting for avor 20 years and this is the first time I have evr found a rare coin! Lots of Hammereds etc. but not rare ones.

Enjoy.

celticunitobv.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

Welcome to CoinPeople Sheddy! :ninja:

I'm a hammered nut and so appreciate the odd Celtic coin, a very nice found and one that you should be very proud of!

Found any Anglo-Saxons? ;)

Clive.

Welcome to CoinPeople Sheddy! :ninja:

I'm a hammered nut and so appreciate the odd Celtic coin, a very nice found and one that you should be very proud of!

Found any Anglo-Saxons? ;)

Clive.

Anglo Saxon coins are the bain of my life. Every time I go out I hope for one, I've never had any. Aethelred should have left a few in my area, after all, he did have a bit of a scuffle with the Danes just up the road from here. A nice Offa or Aedrid wouldn't go amiss either. Just round the corner from me is the site of "The Saxon King" burial chamber, but do I find his cast-offs? Not at all.

A freind of mine found a stunning Offa penny a couple of months ago .... every so often he sends me an e-mail picture of it, just so I remember. Isn't that nice of him?

I'de even settl for a complete Henry 1, 2 or 3 but for me onl;y cut halves and quarters have shown themselves.

Let's not talk about Saxon coinage, it tends to upset me a bit!

Can't we talk about Venetian Solidino's (Galley Ha'penny), they tend to show themselves with un-natural frequency!

I know what you mean, yet the Doges' have quite a bit of history, so they're not all bad.

Cut halves aren't all that bad, if you ever have a Henry III Longcross half or whole of Exeter let me know, it's the only one I need to complete my mint run!

I'd love to find an Offa penny, I suppose he's trying to spur you on to find more! :ninja:

Archived