CoinPeople.com

Gilded Half Dollar

TreasureGirl

So I got a gold-plated or gilded half-dollar today at work - at first I thought it was a chemistry project but when I looked closer I saw it had two stamps above "IN GOD" and "WE TRUST" : 1960 and 1980. Anyone know anything about this? The date is 1980-P; the pictures of it make it look like it's been worn off in places but it looks perfect and polished (I haven't yet decided in a bad way or not yet). I happen to have a gold-plated SQ and it doesn't look much like this half; the half's gold color is less sharp (less yellow, I guess) and the finish is more glossy than the quarter.

The first picture is the obverse of the gilded half to the left of a normal bicentennial half (all I had on me).

102_0431.jpg

The second picture is the reverse of the gilded half to the left of a normal bicentennial half.

102_0432.jpg

The last picture is a closer view of the obverse so you can see the stamps I'm talking about.

102_0430.jpg

Thanks!

TG

I have a gilded buffalo nickal but like you I don't really know what I have. Is the gilding gold or copper? By the way that bicentennial half looks great.

I think it is a genuine Kennedy half with the counterstamped additional dates and the gold plating. While it purports to commemorate the 20th anniversary of his election, its real purpose was to extract a few dollars from the unsuspecting public.

Wow thanks! I had tried the bay and Google when I found it but must have looked that over!

LOL and to think this will be the only time I'll ever have been paid in gold...

LOL and to think this will be the only time I'll ever have been paid in gold...

That Bi-C is beautiful! Looks like they used a mint uncirculated half for it.

By the way, tell your boss to be a little more generous with the gold next time... :ninja:

I have a gold plated Morgan dollar, a later date plated Jefferson, and a gp Kennedy that is cut out.

The Morgan and Kennedy were both pendants. About all they are worth are the melt value. Darn.

Nice coins!

corky

Archived