CoinPeople.com

Rare Cocos/Keeling wooden (no, Ivorine!) tokens

NumisMattic2200

Welcome and congratulations on having acquired such an impressive set. I don't recall ever seeing a complete set offered before this one. :ninja:

Hi,

yes, difficult to find but I have seen one complete set offered in Hong Kong coin exhibition & auction last year. There was also a Cocos Keeling 1968

plastic token set offered. The "price tag" for it was USD 3000. The complete Cocos Keeling 1913 token set hammer price was USD 5K++.

But comparing the Hong Kong set with the eBay one, I would say the eBay set is much nicer.

Not sure whether many people know much about Cocos Keeling Island except that they belong now to Australia. If collectors of Straits Settlements Coins would know that the Cocos Keeling Islands were governed since 1882 by the Straits Settlements Government and that they belong from 1903 onwards till 1946 to the Straits Settlements and from 1946 till 1955 to Crown Colony of Singapore the prices for this tokens would be 2 to 3 times more expensive. I monitored this over the years that Straits Settlements coin collector are paying "crazy" prizes for Straits Settlements coins. Just like today at the coin auction in Singapore. Straits Settlements coins reached often 5 to 10 times their estimated market value.

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...
Have heard of these but until now had never found them...

[images snipped...]

Are they worth what some appear to be prepared to bid?

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, but thought it interesting that a few of these tokens were sold in the "World-Wide Coins of California" auction XL (=40) held on Nov. 15, 2001 -- lots 8 through 14 inclusive which also offered other, more modern proof coinage of the islands.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing an old post back to life but found your site when searching Google.

I'm a new member who has no knowledge or passion (sorry!) for coins.

However I do have 2 of the 10c Coco Islands tokens.

I'm at work so will edit this post when I get home.

I plan to take photos and will update you guys on serial numbers etc.

They aren't in anywhere near the condition of the tokens at the beginning of this post.

I have read numerous posts on selling here but what what would you guys suggest I do to sell given I have no knowledge on them???

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone - just registered - I have a set of these left to me over twenty years by my grandfather (he was stationed in the Far East pre-war and during WWII). I've been trying to get more information on these coins / tokens for years on and off, and it looks like I found the right place!

I have a set of six - exactly the same as the photo's (other than the fact that I am missing the 25 Cent - which I think Tokenchris says is the most common?!). The condition is pretty much the same as the set pictured, if not better (particularly on the larger value ones) as they've been stored very carefully (I remember my grandfather kept them in a 'Vitrine' along with a set of Sevre Porcelain and a few other interesting antiques).

I can't believe they're so rare - only 17 known to exist of the 50 Cent?! Fantastic to have this set, but such a shame that I'm missing the 25 Cent when it's the most common - I wonder if my grandfather ever had it and it got lost over the years...

Anyway, I love having them, but if the price was right I'd maybe be tempted to sell - not sure I'd chance ebay though! I wonder if any of you guys could give me an approximate valuation or point me in the right direction to get the set valued? I'm wondering if I should try and get a 25 Cent one to make a complete set... hmm...

I'll get a photo on as soon as I can - no digital camera at the moment but I'll borrow one (the advantages of an extended family!) - I'd love to get some opinions from someone who knows about these things.

Cheers!

Archived