CoinPeople.com

Do modern Israeli coins have mint marks?

Hello,

Well, the Standard Catalog of World Coins has confused me again. It lists a 1991(j), 1991(so) and 1991(f) coins for the 10 Agorot coin. Unfortunately, it does not appear that they included a key to the meaning of those three letters. I sort of assume that (j) is probably Jerusalem, but I really don't know what the other two are. I also have no idea if there is a way to differentiate between the three. Do you? If so, is there a guide or Web site out there to help me with this differentiation?

Thanks in advance if you can help,

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

On my 34'th edition (it is physically falling apart from overuse) it explains that 1991 10 agorot were minted in Jerusalem, Santiago and Stuttgart. I am wondering if with all the inflation of these yars - it ran up to 20%/year - even production of these coins was so money loosing that they were trying to outsource :ninja:.

But I have a better question. Why would 1989 10 agorot with a mere mintage of 420,000 would be priced the same as mintages of 50-60 million coins? I'd say people who price them for Krause do not have a real good idea of the real value. Unfortunately buuyers sometimes follow.

Hello,

Well, the Standard Catalog of World Coins has confused me again. It lists a 1991(j), 1991(so) and 1991(f) coins for the 10 Agorot coin. Unfortunately, it does not appear that they included a key to the meaning of those three letters. I sort of assume that (j) is probably Jerusalem, but I really don't know what the other two are. I also have no idea if there is a way to differentiate between the three. Do you? If so, is there a guide or Web site out there to help me with this differentiation?

Thanks in advance if you can help,

Bruce

NOTE:Coins dated 5751 (1991) exist with 6mm and 7mm long date and thick and thin letters and 7mm and 7.5mm 10

Doesn't distinguish which mint was responsible for which variety, but this information gives you something to look for to determine the varieties.

Archived