CoinPeople.com

Coin of Unknown Origin/Language

texascello

Hey everyone, I'm new here to CoinPeople so please bear with my noob-ism. ;)

I recently came across this coin while doing some cleaning in an attic and no one seems to know where it came from or anything about its origin. In fact, I'm not even sure if it is indeed a coin-- it's larger/thicker than normal coins so it might be something along the lines of a medallion or a commemorative coin. Also, it's written in a language I'm not familiar with or anything that I've seen thus far-- I wasn't able to find it anywhere!

I've put links to the two photos (a front and a back) of the coin and was wondering if anyone might know its origin, its significance and maybe even a translation (or even just be able to confirm what language it is.)

Thank you everybody in advance! Hope you can help. :ninja:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/25898...host=good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/20748...host=good-times

Sorry, cannot read that either. My first guess would be SE Asia, so Cambodia, Laos or Thailand maybe, but I don't think it is a coin. Hope somebody else can help you better ...

Christian

Hey everyone, I'm new here to CoinPeople so please bear with my noob-ism. ;)

I recently came across this coin while doing some cleaning in an attic and no one seems to know where it came from or anything about its origin. In fact, I'm not even sure if it is indeed a coin-- it's larger/thicker than normal coins so it might be something along the lines of a medallion or a commemorative coin. Also, it's written in a language I'm not familiar with or anything that I've seen thus far-- I wasn't able to find it anywhere!

I've put links to the two photos (a front and a back) of the coin and was wondering if anyone might know its origin, its significance and maybe even a translation (or even just be able to confirm what language it is.)

Thank you everybody in advance! Hope you can help. ;)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/25898...host=good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/20748...host=good-times

I have no idea, never saw one before. Agree that it looks like a medal, not a coin.

Someone at charm.ru might be able to help...

Edit: Whoops! Make that ZENO.RU - I need to update my links. :ninja:

I have seen these before but cant find this exact one...I think its a Buddhist Monk Medal that is common in Thailand...they come in a wide variety of shapes and styles, this one being much rougher than many I have seen.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out! Hopefully I'm nearing the end of this long journey of identifying this medallion.

In response to porthos' reply, I don't think it's Burmese. I looked it up and the text doesn't quite match. I did, however, find this link and this link showing that the Khmer language is a pretty close match to the text on the medallion, yet still not quite a definite match. Maybe this new bit of information will help someone else along to identify it for sure.

I appreciate your continued support and advice.

I agree. It really looks like it's Khmer. I can pretty much guarantee after having lived in SE Asia for a little over 3 years that it's not Thai or Burmese. Nice find though.

You wouldn't happen to be able translate it, would you? Or know where to go to get a translation?

I'm working on trying to get a translation right now. I never learned Khmer, but after living there, I learned a few tricks for figuring things like this out. I can tell you what year it is though. That's the easy part. If you look at the back of the piece (no face), there are 4 characters at the very bottom, right below the little crossed sticks. Those are the numbers 2463. Now, as far as I can tell, Cambodia operates off of the Buddhist calender. It is currently the year 2551 there, meaning that 2463 would have been 1920. Really good condition on that piece. Will let you know if I get anywhere on that translation.

I'm working on trying to get a translation right now. I never learned Khmer, but after living there, I learned a few tricks for figuring things like this out. I can tell you what year it is though. That's the easy part. If you look at the back of the piece (no face), there are 4 characters at the very bottom, right below the little crossed sticks. Those are the numbers 2463. Now, as far as I can tell, Cambodia operates off of the Buddhist calender. It is currently the year 2551 there, meaning that 2463 would have been 1920. Really good condition on that piece. Will let you know if I get anywhere on that translation.

Thanks so much for doing this! I bet you have the "insider knowledge" since you lived there-- you're just the person I need to help me translate this. Just keep me updated if you find anything out.

Good luck, and thanks again!! :ninja:

Ok. So I was able to download a Khmer font program, converted the text on the piece to regular Khmer (yours is highly stylized), typed it all in, and then inserted that, as Roman script, into a few different online translators. None of them are coming up with anything, but I might have gotten one of the characters wrong. The problem is that what I found may not be the entire alphabet, as these SE Asian languages have a horrible tendency of having obsolete characters in the alphabet. However, this piece was made almost 90 years ago so they may not have been obsolete then. Also, They tend to use the obsolete characters on special pieces and for events as the letters look more decorative. I am in process of asking around and seeing if any of my friends know Khmer. After that, I can't think of anything else to do to help you. Sorry. There are however, some online services that will translate anything from Khmer to English for a small price. Just do a search for Khmer-English translation and you should see several come up.

Archived