• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Madison, thanks for posting all the pics, you've got quite the collection there...

Here's my new Yugoslavia note:

yugo-P-25-a.jpg

yugo-P-25-b.jpg

Artist is Clement Serveau, engraver is Deloche, printed Banque de France. Can't get much more French than that :ninja:

Dave

Madison, thanks for posting all the pics, you've got quite the collection there...

Here's my new Yugoslavia note:

yugo-P-25-a.jpg

yugo-P-25-b.jpg

Artist is Clement Serveau, engraver is Deloche, printed Banque de France. Can't get much more French than that ;)

Dave

1926 is tough year to find and it's a very colorful note........ :ninja:

a couple of modern notes printed in France (FCO) for you

Ah, good catch. Oberthur has printed many recent notes. Unfortunately most don't have that "French look" and personally I haven't decided whether to start collecting them. But they certainly extend the scope of a French-printed banknote collection!

Thanks

Dave

Ah, good catch. Oberthur has printed many recent notes. Unfortunately most don't have that "French look" and personally I haven't decided whether to start collecting them. But they certainly extend the scope of a French-printed banknote collection!

Thanks

Dave

JUST GOT THESE 2 NOTES FROM THE POSTIE TODAY

http://www.banknotebank.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=922141

CCI00003001_edited.jpg

Today's mail brings the following... It was listed as a color trial, but I'm not sure that's the correct term. If anyone has some input here, I'd certainly appreciate it. The item is a uniface version of Yugoslavia P-25, missing the control numbers. Within tolerances, it is the same color as the issued note. It is on paper a bit more cream colored, and without watermark, and the paper margins are about 1/8" wider all around (the printed area is the same size).

Dave

yugo-P-25t-a.jpg

Today's mail brings the following... It was listed as a color trial, but I'm not sure that's the correct term. ...

Yes, that would be correct. They are typically unifaced and fit your description, though I've seen some that were mounted on other papers, some that were printed on different papers and oversized papers, - and some that even had 'specimen' on them as well.

Very nice note, btw!

Thanks Dave. My philatelic background says that typically "color trials" come in multiples, showing the same item printed in a variety of colors, usually not the one the final product was printed with. Hence my hesitance to call this a color trial. In any event, I will :ninja:

Dave

Oh, I'd bet there are others out there. It just so happens that (with the one's I've seen anyway) they are sold seperately. Perhaps they were given out as souveneirs to employees or customers - hard to say. I read that there were some that were actually considerably smaller than the actual note, and they were set into salesmen's sample-books. This is not unlike the 'old days' when a saleman would travel with miniature furniture sets to display. In fact, I've recently seen tents and sleeping bags in sporting goods stores that were miniatures as well.

I guess it just seems odd to me that a salesman would travel around with samples of banknotes. I'd like to know more of how that type of sales pitch went - imagine talking to the treasury dept. of several countries saying 'This here is our new spring collection' - HA!

Yeah, I can imagine the spring collection thing... :ninja:

This note has a fold and possibly a closed staple hole on the left side, possibly the remnant of being in some kind of sample book. My understanding from the French literature is that Banque de France did have such sample material available, and in fact you can see all the printing houses re-use certain vignettes and frames on notes for different countries. Individual artists themselves also went around independently and contracted to do work for various treasuries, and must have had some sort of portfolio of their work to show off, much like a photographer has.

I would like to differentiate, though, a "specimen" from a "color trial". My understanding is that a specimen is a note in the finished colors, of a note that actually is being produced. It is as final as possible aside from the serial numbers, and possibly a stamp "specimen" or holes punched through. Whereas a color trial happens earlier in the process, where it is still being decided which colors to use to print the note, and can even be for a note which was never issued. It can be on different paper, and even look like something that was originally destined for the trash can. Specimens come out quite liberally, and are used for training, education, communication, all sorts of things, whereas you wouldn't typically expect color trials to be issued in large numbers.

Is this your understanding as well, or am I misunderstanding something in the terms or usage of these?

Dave

I fully agree with your description.

I have seen for sale on internet sites notes that were called 'Color Trial' but had the word 'Specimen' stamped on it, and that is what I was talking about earlier. I would assume that these were simply the types of Specimen notes that you described which were mis-named by the seller. If not, then they were likely singular examples of a short lived habit of a printer to stamp their color trials.

I'd really like to see a collection of color trials that show the process of a banknotes development. So far I've only seen single examples. Perhaps I can find something on a printers website - doubt it, but its worth a look.

I had the luck to be in France about 15 years ago, and saw notices in the subway for a paper money show being held in an art gallery. I made a point to get over there, to find a stunning display from the BdF. Not only was essentially every 20th century note shown, but all sorts of proofs, trials, colors, etc. They also had all sorts of historical information relating to the notes. The display was quite stunning, with beautiful lighting and enclosures. It was probably the point at which I got serious about collecting. I wish they had produced a book with all these depicted.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
I had the luck to be in France about 15 years ago, and saw notices in the subway for a paper money show being held in an art gallery. I made a point to get over there, to find a stunning display from the BdF. Not only was essentially every 20th century note shown, but all sorts of proofs, trials, colors, etc. They also had all sorts of historical information relating to the notes. The display was quite stunning, with beautiful lighting and enclosures. It was probably the point at which I got serious about collecting. I wish they had produced a book with all these depicted.

Dave

I LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU MY NEW PURCHASES;-

CCI0001500B_edited-1.jpg

CCI0001300B_edited.jpg

CCI0001500A_edited.jpg

CCI0001300A_edited.jpg

CCI0001100C_edited.jpg

CCI0001100B_edited.jpg

CCI0001100A_edited.jpg

AND LASTLY ........ENJOY ! !

319_1225564165f.jpg

319_1225564165r.jpg