CoinPeople.com

France and French-Printed notes

Dave M

Hi All,

I've been looking for a banknote forum, this looks like it! I went back though a lot of posts and enjoyed the photos very much. Makes it nice to see some of these notes, and pencil down a future "I NEED that NOTE" comment on my list. :ninja:

So I'll offer up my banknote collection, or at least the part of it that's online, for your enjoyment and comment. It is France and French-Printed notes and I've been putting it together for quite a few years. I just recently reorganized and added greatly to the web site. I am particularly interested in additional resources and documentation on details of printing and what-not for these notes, if you have any links or books I should have. I am not exactly sure, for example, that the notes I have listed as French Printed are actually such (and am certainly open to correction).

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to CP Dave!

Your website is great and your collection is outstanding. I have to say I am a huge fan of the old franc style notes from around the 40's. They certainly are more than just a banknote, they are like a little painting in your pocket.

Hi All,

I've been looking for a banknote forum, this looks like it! I went back though a lot of posts and enjoyed the photos very much. Makes it nice to see some of these notes, and pencil down a future "I NEED that NOTE" comment on my list. :ninja:

So I'll offer up my banknote collection, or at least the part of it that's online, for your enjoyment and comment. It is France and French-Printed notes and I've been putting it together for quite a few years. I just recently reorganized and added greatly to the web site. I am particularly interested in additional resources and documentation on details of printing and what-not for these notes, if you have any links or books I should have. I am not exactly sure, for example, that the notes I have listed as French Printed are actually such (and am certainly open to correction).

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Beautiful site and lovely notes . Welcome !! Needless to say, I admire your collection....

Hi Dave, welcome to CP!

Nicely laid out website, easy to navigate, with some really beautiful notes.

I had nearly forgotten how much I like the old violet 5 franc note (P.72). And those Chambre Of Commerce local issues are quite interesting.

Nice job. :ninja:

Hi Dave, welcome to CP!

Nicely laid out website, easy to navigate, with some really beautiful notes.

Thanks folks, it's a labor of love, I guess. And it will certainly never end, my wallet is not thick enough!

Dave

Ooh-La-La!

Such a collection of lovely banknotes! :ninja: Thanks for sharing your nice website full of French Printed Banknotes! I have enjoyed viewing them and am certain that I will reference your site many times, as there are several there that I am trying to get myself.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, too!

Thanks Dave, glad you like them! I've been slowly going through folks' web sites, and have to say your French-printed notes in Africa were the ones that made me join the site and engage in a bit of discussion. I am curious if you and the other Africa collectors are actively looking to get all the banknotes from W.A.S and C.A.S., with just the different branch codes for each country, or whether you're satisfied with one of each image. I also wonder how often multiple folks from this site may be bidding on the same note on eBay, while yet another member is the seller :ninja:

For those that are saving bookmarks, note that I grabbed the domain http://www.FrenchBanknotes.com and moved my collection over there - it sounds so much more prestigious ;)

Dave

Well, as for what I collect, I guess I currently take the "type set" approach and don't worry too much about the letter/branch codes. I might in the future, but that would greatly increase the cost. So for now I don't worry too much about signatures, prefixes, serial numbers, country codes, etc. unless I can get it without too much overhead. I recently bought a repeater and some low serial numbered notes that were offered with no premium, except one that was a two digit note that was only 0.45 cents more.

As for bidding on other notes of forum members, I'm sure it happens! But there are several who offer their notes/coins in the advertising forum first or offer a link to their auction/sales. I have traded and bought from standing members here with great results, and have always been given a better deal than I could have got elsewhere. Once you've made the time and posting requirements, you can take advantage of the advertising forum. Notes don't come up too often, though, but every once in a while something crops up that fits into your collection.

- Dave

Cool, I'll look forward to finding a few notes on this site.

I'm doing the same thing with the various Africa note - one of each type is good enough for me right now (and most likely the cheapest one of the bunch).

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some additions to FrenchBanknotes.com over the last couple weeks. Several new Comoros notes, making it tempting to try to "complete" the country, a couple from Romania, and several from West African States. I've also started an attempt to get a note from every country and date code for the Shepherd with Zebus 500fr Central African States note. That collection is embarrasingly small at the moment, but I'm looking forward to chasing down more of these.

Dave

Thank you sir! It's been a long time collecting these, many were purchased when prices weren't so high...

Here's my latest French-printed note:

me-P-16-a.jpg

From Montenegro, yep Banque de France printed this - note the similarity to many of the early French Colonies notes with the oval frame, anchor, etc.

Dave

A new purchase - Algeria P-125, this note was nicer (and bigger!) than I had expected. The detail at the bottom is just great.

dz-P-125-a.jpg

algeria.jpg

This banknote sure is a beauty, isn't it? The notes from this era are all nice and becoming quite scarce.

:ninja:

Here's a note I've been looking for, for quite a while. French West Africa P-27. I see many of these in well-worn condition, but this is the best I've found (probably grades AU, as it has a flattened fold down the center).

frwest-P-27-a.jpg

frwest-P-27-b.jpg

Here's a note I've been looking for, for quite a while. French West Africa P-27. I see many of these in well-worn condition, but this is the best I've found (probably grades AU, as it has a flattened fold down the center).

Very nice and colorful ! well done.

• 5 weeks later...
Love to see them. Don't know why they are so inexpensive, very surprise...May be you know....!

I don't know, actually. Yugoslavia's gone through a lot of turmoil right around that time, so perhaps they had the printing presses running overtime...

Here's a new note for today (obviously not the one from Yogoslavia that I'm still waiting for). This one from Germany, and the other note in the set, are the last notes printed by Banque de France outside of her ex-colonies (for which notes are printed to this day).

Dave

de-P-14a-a.jpg

de-P-14a-b.jpg

I don't know, actually. Yugoslavia's gone through a lot of turmoil right around that time, so perhaps they had the printing presses running overtime...

Here's a new note for today (obviously not the one from Yogoslavia that I'm still waiting for). This one from Germany, and the other note in the set, are the last notes printed by Banque de France outside of her ex-colonies (for which notes are printed to this day).

Dave

Nice note--

This is hard note to come by......Anybody can tell me why this note is so big...?

CCI00011yy_edited.jpg

CCI00010yy_edited.jpg

CCI00012xx_edited.jpg

CCI00013yy2_edited.jpg

CCI00012xx2_edited.jpg

CCI00015xx_edited.jpg

CCI00014xx_edited.jpg

CCI00014xx1_edited.jpg