CoinPeople.com

Coin that is over-graded

This is what is more commonly known as a polished Penny

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1907-EDW-VII-PENNY-t...1QQcmdZViewItem

or - 130234342341

2cx9o20.jpg

1znptz6.jpg

I thought there was a post somewhere for most over-graded coin?

Well don't underestimate this as these go from about 40 GBP in true UNC conditions at the dealer level.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1%2B%26_fvi%3D1

Some prominent ghosting of the portrait of this one on the reverse.

Hello,

You know that coin that you are trashing is actually quite a decent coin. I have several coins of that sort and what I look for is Britanias hand on the trident, are the fingers showing, Are all of the robes showing clearly, is Edwards ear without wear.

The strange color could be bad photography, or maybe it was dipped some time in the past.

What worries me about the coin is the unsharpness of Britanias head, and the Union Jack on the sheild. I would really need to see it up close and personal so make a determination, but the coin could be AU perhaps depending how it looked under a glass.

I am posting a couple of photos I just took of a couple of coins I consider to be UNC and perhaps you can see a difference.

Mine have some mint luster but one is wonderful but is bronze toned evenly all over with wonderful eye appeal but darned hard to photograph.

Anyway thats my 2p's worth, or perhaps my 2d's worth.

Ok I just compared my coins to the one you found. I think it might be a counterfeit! The fine details are wrong like the trident is not properly shaped, the robe that is supposed to hang down over the sheild is missing or rubbed off. The face is not crisp.

Geesh, I know the far east is churning out lots of fake gold and silver but it looks like they may be making fake pennies! The ear on Edward is missing detail I could go on but I will start to bore you. Beware "its close but it ain't no cigar" so to speak!

1908_1_Penny_UNC.JPG

1905_1_Penny_OBV_UNC.JPG

Hello,

Good grief, That coin is not EF or XF it looks like it has been tumble dried with a bunch of rocks. It seems to warrant about a VF35, MBC,TTB,SS,BB,MBC, 1+ I think that just about covers most of the globe with regard to grading that coin. The high grade he talks about must be the one he got to in middle school, because it cant be talking about that scruffy coin.

Maybe he has a bridge to sell the person who buys it! :ninja: Here's a coin that we graded as EF or XF (depending how you spell Extremely)

1890_EF_Shilling.jpg

Porsche - have you ever heard of polishing coins and abrasion? :ninja:

Oh no please not another eBay defender!

No not defending the rubbish that is put on e-bay waiting for the person who is born every minute. And I have heared of it and perhaps it has happened to this coin. It would be interesting to measure it and weigh it. I think it looks like a fake. I don't think we would touch it with a barge poll. I hope others will see the problems with it and the seller will not sell it except as a filler.

But I suppose reading the ad he put in for it we would have to wait for pigs to fly before he would admit the coin has serious issues. ;)

Porsche = I never buy any coin doesn't look perfect so I didn't notice it was fake?.. just doesn't look 'kosher' somehow. Serious collectors only collect the choice specimens anyway, as you mention and eBay is so full of crap it's often hard to find anything decent to go after. However I wasn't relating to the fact that it's so full of junk when I said this, but the attitude of eBay towards collectors and the sellers' (and buyers too) towards collectors in expecting us to swallow their loopy grades. eBay staff are rarely sympathetic and people also defend eBay on forums like this one a tad too often, and there is some reason to do so, in one sense as it is a good source of coins on the whole and bargains can be picked up but I just wish people would be a little more careful about what they're defending!

Hello,

It is two different sellers with two different coins, but perhaps other people could share what they know about this subject.

:ninja: Then we could have a thread that could caution people on what to look for and avoid. ;) Sorry if we got a bit sarcastic about some of these folks it's just that it does get old when its difficult to be able to trust people. Being streight and honest is the best way to behave in all matters ;) i just wished more people did so. ;)

Look, if you wish to post something of this material, I wouldn't mind if the pictures are linked from ebay and have a discussion from it. However if you are making a mockery out of the seller and laugh over it, it's a different matter and I will not hesitate to lock such threads up. Other moderators may have a different opinion. It would be MORE convincing if you can post reference material such as this:

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1684/pr...imalpg12zp6.jpg

Free speech does not mean you can say whatever you want - it also means that others can possibly sue you over what you say if your comments are damaging enough.