CoinPeople.com

NEED HELP IDENTIFYING DATE OF COIN

diamond

I'm back! I cannot figure out what the date/year is on the Japanese coin below. I tried looking it up before coming here, but my headache became too painful to continue. So, I thought I would ask my new friends. If you can help, I would appreciate it. (This is harder then I thought, but I'm not a quitter.)

JapanCoinYrUkn.JPG JapanCoinYrUknRev.JPG :ninja:

Of the 6 characters below the 10 only the 3rd, 4th and 5th are numerals. The others are unknown to me as well. :ninja:

You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.

Of the 6 characters below the 10 only the 3rd, 4th and 5th are numerals.

(I was going to say this earlier, but you had it under control.) The last character is the one for year.

5 10 6 reads as 5 times 10 plus 6.

56 Year.

The first and second would be the characters for the name of the reign, Meishi, Showa, Keisei, etc. Just as we call Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration "The New Deal" and Kennedy's "The New Frontier" and Johnson's "The Great Society" so, too, in China and Japan, did the emperor take a name for his reign.

I think that Meiji was "Bright Rule" and Keisei (the one we are in now) is "Prosperous Peace."

There is a lot on the web (of course). Start here, perhaps

http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa041400.htm

or Google "japan emperor era" and follow some links.

(Chinese cash often have the name of the emperor and the name of his reign on them: four characters, up and down; and then right to left, I think, though some are different.)

Archived