CoinPeople.com

Need advice on 1896 coronation rouble

Evgenij

Hi, I am thinking about sending this coin for slabbing to NGC, do you think they will grade this coin at AU 50 +? Thank you

Welcome to CoinPeople, Evgenij! :ninja:

It's very difficult to make any predictions about grades given by 3rd party services such as NGC or PCGS. What is important is what grade you think this coin has. If you do not have enough experience in coin grading, you probably should buy some slabbed coins yourself before buying more expensive raw coins so that you have some point of comparison.

Personally, I would want to see the coin in hand before making any conclusions. I think it is not a good idea to grade a coin just from pictures. In any case, the darker areas on the coin around the legend on the reverse suggest that it might have been improperly cleaned sometime in the past. In that case, NGC might not slab it at all. Coins which are AU usually have much more mint luster than is evident in the pictures, IMHO. I would therefore say XF detail, possibly cleaned. But it is just my own opinion.

Thank you bobh for welcoming me and for your valuable opinion! I wish you had a chance to hold this coin and make a better judgement, hovewer once i get this coin, will post scans, may be it will be easier to determine if the coin is worth slabbing or not.

First of all, this design is in relatively low relief, so it is harder to grade.

Secondly, AU, ideally, should be reserved for a coin where only the very highest parts of the design show a bit of wear.

Thirdly, it's difficult to really estimate the grade from a picture, and not a very magnified one at that.

So, that being said, I would grade this coin XF as, in my opinion, it has too much wear over the whole obverse portrait to qualify for AU. Some AU coins would be mistaken for unc, and one would have to look closely for signs of wear as opposed to, for example, striking weaknesses. In the case of your coin, there is plenty of wear visible, although not severe, so that's why I would call it XF.

A higher relief coin is easier to grade as the design elements are not so protected by the coin's edges.

Marv Finnley

I agree w/MARV and would like to add that although the coin appears to be about extra fine, it may also exhibit other signs of detertioration and/or damage. Better scans, including the edge would help.

First of all, this design is in relatively low relief, so it is harder to grade.

Secondly, AU, ideally, should be reserved for a coin where only the very highest parts of the design show a bit of wear.

Thirdly, it's difficult to really estimate the grade from a picture, and not a very magnified one at that.

So, that being said, I would grade this coin XF as, in my opinion, it has too much wear over the whole obverse portrait to qualify for AU. Some AU coins would be mistaken for unc, and one would have to look closely for signs of wear as opposed to, for example, striking weaknesses. In the case of your coin, there is plenty of wear visible, although not severe, so that's why I would call it XF.

A higher relief coin is easier to grade as the design elements are not so protected by the coin's edges.

Marv Finnley

Based on these scans I would agree with previous comments - XF 45 at best and quite likely to have been cleaned in the past. In my opinion, this is a very decent coin but not quite investment grade, and I would not slab it unless having the equivalent of a certificate of authenticity is important to you.

If you think it looks better, what everyone else thinks probably does not matter until you contemplate selling it. I know a number of collectors who just like their coins white and shiny and can't bear any sort of spots or toning and will dip their coins as many times as it takes. They know about all the injunctions against cleaning and just don't care. And that's fine as far as I'm concerned. However, if this is your first experiment with ezest, you chose a fairly expensive coin to experiment with!

It looks a lot worse. I would just pay VF money on that.

You must be kidding me. There is no way that this coin can be graded al low as VF. I am fairly new to collecting coins, hovewer i based on my own experience, this coin simply can't be rated that low. Can you state exactly what looks worse now on the coin?

2 I didn't experiment with ezest, just dipped the coin for 10 seconds, washed and dried - did exactly the same thing as other experienced collectors.

3 It matters to me what you think, as some times it's really nice to hear what other people have to say.

You must be kidding me. There is no way that this coin can be graded al low as VF.

He didn't say it would grade VF, he said he would only pay VF money for it ... of course, it's hard to be objective if you KNOW that the coin has been cleaned! :ninja:

I think it looks better after the dip, but it's hard to tell from pictures alone what kind of mint luster the coin has (or had)...

Look, you are asking for an opinion here. It's cleaned and the fact does not change. Cleaned. It's not professionally done. You could have sent it to NGC conservation service but you couldn't be bothered. If you are asking for a value here, that's what it is. VF. No reason why I should pay XF money for a cleaned coin when I could get an original one.

Archived