CoinPeople.com

1885 Proof V Nickel

LostDutchman

Date Mintage G-4 VG-8 F-12 VF-20 XF-40 AU-50 MS-60 MS-65 Prf-65

1885 1,476,490 560 630 900 1,100 1,350 1,700 2,000 8,400 1,500

It's the first time when I see catalog prices for proof lower than AU :ninja:

DAMN! You just had to one up me, didn't you.

324078171o.jpg

324078171r.jpg

That's a very nice proof. Congratulations.

I got mine to complete my set because I just couldn't see spending the money on a low grade '85 when I could get a nice proof for just a little more. I'd like to have the whole set in proof but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for posting that.

Lee

I loooooove V nicks and I wish i had more money to buy some!

The majority of my Liberty Nickel collection is raw in good to very fine condition. I think you'd be suprised how inexpensive most of them are. Only the keys and semi-keys are high priced. I searched at coin shows to find dealers who had large selections to choose from, took my time and picked the best I could afford. I'd bet you could find 4 or 5 VF commons for under $25.

They make such an interesting conversation piece too as most people are familiar with Buffalos but are completely unaware of the Liberty Nickels.

The majority of my Liberty Nickel collection is raw in good to very fine condition. I think you'd be suprised how inexpensive most of them are. Only the keys and semi-keys are high priced. I searched at coin shows to find dealers who had large selections to choose from, took my time and picked the best I could afford. I'd bet you could find 4 or 5 VF commons for under $25.

SHHH!!!! DON'T TELL ANYONE!

Actually, the problem is that XF is the lowest grade I'd want in my collection (for eye appeal and coin study purposes). When I go to stores and shows I can't find anything in XF or Au... the coins are either lower graded than I want or they are too expensive for my tastes. I know the UNC coins are cheap but I'd rather assemble a nice-looking set instead of a high grade on right now.

Can't find mid-grade V nicks!

Archived