CoinPeople.com

1813 George III 10 pence IRish Token

Bluesfil

I bought this one recently - I believe they were made by the Bank of England and used as normal/circulation currency

Obverse

1813IrishBankToken10penceObv.jpg

Reverse

1813IrishBankToken10penceRev.jpg

The English ones were made by the Bank of England whereas the Irish ones were minted by the Bank of Ireland I believe.

A nice example!

Thanks for that - I should have researched it better. I assumed they were part of the same group of Bank tokens

Loads of these silver tokens were made around the time of the Napoleonic Wars as there was a shortage of Government silver due to the need to pay troops that were fighting napoleon over on the continent. There were also lots (I think about 70 places) of varietes of silver conders produced 1811-13 which were allegedly all produced by a Henry Morgan. No silver conders were produced for any other years.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought another one

Ireland 1805 Bank Token 10 pence

has a leaf between the D and E of Dei

Small Flan variety s6617;KM Tn3

Sold at baldwins "Boyd" sale 26/9/2005

Obverse

1805Irish10PBankTokenObvLeafbetweenDandE.jpg

Reverse

1805Irish10PBankTokenRev.jpg

• 7 years later...

I am quite interested in British silver tokens, both private isues and the more official issues but they are more difficult to obtain in Australia, unless from international sources. That's a problem for me, because I like to examine every coin in hand before deciding to buy.

I have a five and ten pence Irish, and 1s 6d and 3 shill bank tokens, and a 5 shillings BOE token, in lesser condition, and an eighteen pence token of Peterborough.