CoinPeople.com

Metal Detector For Father's Day

Scottishmoney

Got a metal detector for Father's Day from my kids, today I found one 1977 cent, one 1965 quater, and a 1977 Quarter. But the best find came next to a tree in my backyard, a 1917 Lincoln. :ninja:

My house was built in 1933, so I hope to find more with experience.

firstthfinds061508.jpg

The Wheat cent was found not too far from where my son found a silver ladle with his own machine yesterday. He has a cheapie $20 machine, but it does find larger stuff.

I got a tie and some socks from my kids. Wanna trade? :ninja:

I got a phone call (at 12:01AM) from my USMC son at Camp LeJeune. Wouldn't trade it for anything. We've had our ups and downs (a lot of controversy started by his mother), but we are gradually re-building our relationship. Didn't hear from him on my birthday a few weeks ago, but he was on maneuvers out in CA, so it wasn't to be expected.

Great gift that metal detector and also the calls from the kids. Hope everyone had a great day.

Great gift that metal detector and also the calls from the kids. Hope everyone had a great day.

In addition to the tie and socks I got a 12 pack of Corona, and three were put in the fridge for me. I had two, and they were delicious.

It's just nice having both kids home for the summer.

I have a friend who has unearthed thousands in rare coins from Maryland beaches and old farm houses with his metal detector.

Lots of Spanish and Dutch shipwreck coins on the beach, but it's the farm houses where you find the hoards.

One day when I'm retired and restless I'll buy one.

So far today I have found a 1999 dime in the hotspot, near 3 of the finds from last night. The hotspot is under a very old Elm tree, probably laid under, picnicked under etc. in the past.

Wow --do you have one of the type of elms that somehow had the right defense against the beetles? (I've heard there are stands of them around in various places.) Of did it make it just by being all by itself?

And although I didn't get a 12 pack of Corona for Father's Day, which is what I REALLY wanted, I did get a pound of See's Candy. :ninja:

Went back out to the elm tree in the backyard, it really is a hotspot:

coinfinds160608.jpg

A 1945 Lincoln. I haven't played with the depth thing yet, I wonder what I will find there when I do.

I also found an old firehose nozzle, a brass thing that was fairly deep. The only problem with my detector is my 13 yr old daughter thinks she owns it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Largely on account of this thread I sometimes now read the metal detector magazine at the news stand while I wait for my train at Penn Station.

I have found that there are basically three types of detectors.

A good one costs about $500.

A great one costs about $1000.

A super duper state of the art holy moly one goes for about $1500.

And there are dozens of different models to chose from.

It's summer, I live near several beaches, and I am tempted...

The only problem with my detector is my 13 yr old daughter thinks she owns it now.

Want to bet she's the one who eventually finds something really valuable?

"Daddy, daddy, look what I found!" :ninja:

I wouldn't have many coins in my collection if it wasn't for metal detectors, some people make a living out of doing it over here! I have never found a hammered coin whilst detecting, just some corroded pre-Decimal... :ninja:

Some pretty cool coins. Keep finding silver that detector will pay for it's self. I live in a 150 year old house. I allways wanted to get one and check the yard out. Maybe i will for the heck of it. I found a spot close to the house in the woods , that had 3 small rocks in a triangle. That would be my first try. In the old days people would bury coins and some even cash in case their house burnt down. Be nice find jar of gold dollars somewhere. :ninja:

When I was growing up, my brother always used to bury his ex-pets (mice, guinea pigs, etc etc) in the woods behind our house, and mark the spot with a few small rocks. Happy digging! :ninja:

When I was about 9 or 10 I took my life's savings (about $6 in dollar bills) put it into a coffee can and buried it in our backyard. Probably as a result of reading a book about pirates.

I tried to dig it up about a month later and couldn't find it. So it's still there, and a metal detector would certainly help locate the can.

Probably all star notes...

Largely on account of this thread I sometimes now read the metal detector magazine at the news stand while I wait for my train at Penn Station.

I have found that there are basically three types of detectors.

A good one costs about $500.

A great one costs about $1000.

A super duper state of the art holy moly one goes for about $1500.

And there are dozens of different models to chose from.

It's summer, I live near several beaches, and I am tempted...

You can get a very good detector for just over $200

When I was about 9 or 10 I took my life's savings (about $6 in dollar bills) put it into a coffee can and buried it in our backyard. Probably as a result of reading a book about pirates.

I tried to dig it up about a month later and couldn't find it. So it's still there, and a metal detector would certainly help locate the can.

Probably all star notes...

Probably rotted away to nothing.

Archived