CoinPeople.com

Coin grading

MeekRN

which coin grading has the most integrity and therefor would be best to buy and sell my coins with.
To some extent it depends on what type of coins you are asking about.

PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and to some extent ICG, are generally considered the top tier, but for some categories there are other preferences, such as ICCS for Canadian material.

None of them buy or sell coins, but I suppose you really are asking which slabs get the highest prices.

You probably won't appreciate advice to buy the coin, not the slab, but a lot of us really believe that's the best way to collect.

If your coins have ever been cleaned, or are in less than pristine condition (corrosion, scratches, ex-jewelry) then don't send them to NGC or PCGS, as you will pay for a slab but receive the coin in a body bag. Only ANACS will grade "problem" coins.

ANACS, PCGS, and NGC are all good, but realize that certifying a coin worth less than $100 is pretty much a waste of money. And PCGS fees have gone up so much lately that unless you have a $1000 coin you'll do better sending it to NGC or ANACS.

I have a lot of Dutch gold ducats from the 1600's thru the 1800's and they have all been certified. I wanted to be sure that they were genuine. But I have a lot of coins that I don't feel need to be slabbed.

You won't really get a premium price these days because a coin has been certified. Better to spend your money on a good digital camera and scale so when you list them on eBay people can tell exactly what they are bidding on.

My two cents...

BTW PCGS will now grade so called Problem Coins:

PCGS To Grade Problem Coins

For $100 per coin! And all you get is a guarantee that it's authentic, with no grade noted or implied.

Not an option for me and never will be. I'd rather buy a $100 coin and never slab it...

For $100 per coin! And all you get is a guarantee that it's authentic, with no grade noted or implied.

Not an option for me and never will be. I'd rather buy a $100 coin and never slab it...

I will concur that with the Dutch ducats I would like an attribution and confirmation on them, but how can I trust the TPG's when even they fudge up? I mean they mis-identify stuff, mis-attribute all the time. Look at Heritage and all the corrections they have to do.

You didn't mention the type of coins your trying to sell or are you just dumping a lot of coins? If your planning on selling a large amount of coins, I suggest you avoid massive grading and slabbing. Would cost a lot of money and may well not be worth it for some or many coins. You should first consider what coins are really worth the expense of grading and slabbing prior to doing it.

I will concur that with the Dutch ducats I would like an attribution and confirmation on them, but how can I trust the TPG's when even they fudge up? I mean they mis-identify stuff, mis-attribute all the time. Look at Heritage and all the corrections they have to do.

Like it or not, coins submitted to a TPG are still graded by human beings, much like you and I, though perhaps not as witty and good looking as us.

And human beings make mistakes. Add to this that grading a coin is a very subjective process and not as cut and dry as some people seem to think.

Then consider that every collector that I know has coins that they love and others that they hate. So an AU58 coin that the grader has always liked may get bumped up to a MS60 while a MS60 that the grader deems ugly may drop down to AU58 or AU55.

Then there is quantity. I certify maybe a dozen coins a year, that's all. If I were submitting hundreds or thousands perhaps I would get less body bags and more benefit of the doubt slabs.

Lots of variables to consider.

Like it or not, coins submitted to a TPG are still graded by human beings, much like you and I, though perhaps not as witty and good looking as us.

Very true. I just believe, rather know, that I am far better at determining what pleases me than some dolt in a windowless TPG grading facility. Besides they probably don't let them out much. Poor creatures, hae pities on 'em :ninja:

Archived