CoinPeople.com

New quarter designs for 2010

Dockwalliper

Rep. Michael Castle, Rep. Luis Gutierrez and Carolyn Maloney brought in the bill H.R. 6184 and named it America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008.

The selection of a national park or other national site in each State to be honored with a coin.

http://www.coinnews.net/coin-legislation/h...-2008/#BillText

There will be at least one for each state, so a minimum of 50.

"To provide for a program for circulating quarter dollar coins that are emblematic of a national park or other national site in each State, the District of Columbia, and each territory of the United States, and for other purposes."

One note I notice the bullion duplicates will only be available thru a "authorized dealer" or the National park services.

" `(3) DISTRIBUTION-

`(A) IN GENERAL- In addition to the authorized dealers utilized by the Secretary in distributing bullion coins and solely for purposes of distributing bullion coins issued under this subsection, the Director of the National Park Service, or the designee of the Director, may purchase numismatic items issued under this subsection, but only in units of no fewer than 1,000 at a time, and the Director, or the Director’s designee, may resell or repackage such numismatic items as the Director determines to be appropriate.

`( B ) RESALE- The Director of the National Park Service, or the designee of the Director, may resell, at cost and without repackaging, numismatic items acquired by the Director or such designee under subparagraph (A) to any party affiliated with any national site honored by a quarter dollar under subsection (t) for repackaging and resale by such party in the same manner and to the same extent as such party would be authorized to engage in such activities under subparagraph (A) if the party were acting as the designee of the Director under such subparagraph.’. "

Just noticed the bullion part "

(A) have a diameter of 3.0 inches and weigh 5.0 ounces;

`( B ) contain .999 fine silver;

`© have incused into the edge the fineness and weight of the bullion coin;

`(D) bear an inscription of the denomination of such coin, which shall be `quarter dollar’; and

`(E) not be minted or issued by the United States Mint as so-called `fractional’ bullion coins or in any size other than the size described in paragraph (A).

I'm sure most coin collectors aren't really impressed after the state and territory programs. However, I think if this new program was passed the Mint will get what they want in terms of revenue.

Then again if it isn't that big of a hit then this series may be more valuable in the future than the state and territorial program. The reason is the very same as everyone else's answer above my reply; no one really wants to collect these coins after the previous program that went for over a decade. Think 70 years from now when someone walks into a coin shop and they have tons of state quarters but, only a handful or less of state park quarters.

Whether or not these are popular with collectors, the quarter is the workhorse of our coinage, so the mint will still mint several billion a year, in 70 years, the only difference will be that it might be harder to find BU rolls and bags.

This irritates me. I was really waiting for the Mint to start a movie star series of quarters. TV personalities on the new nickels. Famous criminals on the dimes. A new series of half dollars with a different bottle of booze on each one. The state bird on the new cents. And lets not forget the presidential pets on the reverse of the baby sized dollars with their butlers on the obverse. :ninja:;)

Archived