CoinPeople.com

Olympic rouble variety

Tane

After a moment of careful examination, I find that I have an Olympic rouble coin of 1978 (depicting the Kreml) which has incorrect numbers on the clock: ...III VI V VI... How rare is this variety? Did I find a treasure? :ninja:

I tried to search it from the internet for comparison, but pictures are often too small so I can't see the details.

After a moment of careful examination, I find that I have an Olympic rouble coin of 1978 (depicting the Kreml) which has incorrect numbers on the clock: ...III VI V VI... How rare is this variety? Did I find a treasure? :ninja:

I tried to search it from the internet for comparison, but pictures are often too small so I can't see the details.

Hi

i think that is the Reference KM 153.2 witha value in grade VF 8$ , XF 16$ and UNC 25$ . I have in my collection

Regards Gerard

Nope that's not a treasure. Some time ago I had 20 of these coins. I think this error appears on every 5th coin. Anyway, nice coins ;)

Nope that's not a treasure. Some time ago I had 20 of these coins. I think this error appears on every 5th coin. Anyway, nice coins :ninja:

Thanks for the answers! That's what I actually thought myself too, but it never hurts to ask.

Very nice coins indeed, it's refreshing to find something new from the stuff you've had in your album for years ;)

I have seen a coin that have an error the same as you metioned, But since it is not realy obvious for the naked eye I did not buy it, it was not very expencive though (after converting from my currency to dollars ) is cost about 7 dollars. After seeing you guys speaking of this coin I'm thinking of buying it next time :ninja:

(I was told that the error was V and another V instead of V IV or IV V I'm not sure of it - since I didn't have my magnifying glass I could not say which version the error was, I could not even see the error at all ;) )

I'm intersting are there any other errors in Russian commemorative coins from 1965 to 1992/3? I would be glad to know about others if exists - and maybe I'll buy some for my collection.

Thanks in advanced

TQ

I'm intersting are there any other errors in Russian commemorative coins from 1965 to 1992/3? I would be glad to know about others if exists - and maybe I'll buy some for my collection.

Thanks in advanced

TQ

Yes there are. As far as I remember there is another error coin "International year of peace" with a wrong symbol in word "rouble", but this one is quite rare and costs around 100$. I am sure there are and others, but I cannot remember it right now :ninja:

tq,

The Engels ruble is actually a serious error during the novodel process in 1988 where the Engels die was supposed to pair up with a 1985 dated die. For some reason, it was paired up with a 1983 die and hence this rare error. The last time I saw a similar one sold on Kuenker, it went for 2400 euros if I'm not mistaken. Not very common and very expensive if you can even find one. I was lucky that the dealer that sold to me had no idea of what it was other than a wrong date and I had no idea of the value until last year.

The peace ruble variety apparently is not a common one either from what I have heard and seen. Again, another lucky buy that I didn't realize until someone told me that it's scarce.

Most of the information about rare varieties and errors can be found here: http://shiraliv.narod.ru/ Do use a Russian to English translation program to get a rough idea. I've posted the link many times.

Archived