CoinPeople.com

Could this be the Mystery Man in the Getty Museum?

11373601.jpg 11373601.jpg

This is a pastel portrait, by Joseph Vivien, of an "unknown man" in the Paul Getty Museum. They say circa 1725, so it could have been a few years earlier.

Could this be the mystery man? Bear in mind he is a few years older in the portrait.

946409.jpgBombarda1699Roussel-vert.jpg

Jean-Paul (Gio Paolo) de Bombarda, he was born in Rome around 1650 and died in Paris on December 6, 1712.. Architect (He Built the Theatre de la Monnaie in Brussels) , he was a musican and also a financial counselor to Maximilian-Emmanuel II, duke and elector of Bavaria (1662-1726), governor of the Spanish Netherlands. Rev. Gertrude Marie Cloots, his wife. Bronze 30mm by Roussel 1699. Dugn., 4659; F Rare

Vivien did a portrait of Maximilian-Emmanuel II, and Bombarda is listed as sitting for Vivien.

Either way the medal is rare, in that it shows a husband and wife who are not of the aristocracy, as well as being rare in the numismatic sense.

ChC3A2teau_de_Beaulieu.jpg

This is Jean Paul de Bombarda's residence, Beaulieu Castle in present day Belgium. It was built in 1654, he brought it in 1697 and retained ownership until his death in 1712. The English King, William III, made the castle his headquarters in 1693. The Duke of Marlborough stayed in the castle after the battle of Ramillies May 25th, 1706. It is currently being restored.

He obviously was a good financial adviser!

The English King William II made the castle his headquarters in 1693.

William II/Rufus died in 1100... :ninja:

I love this period, so much happening and the coins are rather regal too, I love the Crowns and Halfcrowns of the late 17th and early 18th Centuries.

An interesting story, it might well be the same man! Thanks for sharing! ;)

William II/Rufus died in 1100... :ninja:

I love this period, so much happening and the coins are rather regal too, I love the Crowns and Halfcrowns of the late 17th and early 18th Centuries.

An interesting story, it might well be the same man! Thanks for sharing! ;)

947117.jpg

William and Mary: Mary II as Regent 1690, Bronze medal by Norbert Roettiers, 48mm. Rev. Landscape of mountains, lake below, from which is emptying a river, over which is a full moon. INTER IGNES LVNA MINORES.

A rather sad looking medal of mine which is for the regency of Queen Mary II whilst William III was abroad fighting.

Thanks for spotting the typo, I missed it, Mea Culpa ( I copied it from this site http://www.belgiancastles.be/beaulieu.html I have informed Bruno, who's site it is, of the error), I will change it in my post. Thanks for the input too, glad you think it might be Jean Paul de Bombarda in the portrait.

I should have mentioned, that the lady Jean Paul de Bombarda married, was the daughter of an Antwerp banker. Marrying a banker's daughter----------- always a good financial plan.

This is a pastel portrait, by Joseph Vivien, of an "unknown man" in the Paul Getty Museum. They say circa 1725, so it could have been a few years earlier.

Could this be the mystery man? Bear in mind he is a few years older in the portrait.

There is certainly a strong resemblance, although the nose on the medal looks a bit more hooked and possibly more narrow on the medal than in the painting, but that might be of no real significance. Could it be the same person? Yes, I think it could.

Archived