CoinPeople.com

How hard to find These coins?

tqc2002

Thank you

Since I'm not realy good in judging coins - I rely on the prices that the seller tells me Because I have found that catalogues are not always right, And I can't know when the price in the catalogue is correct and when it is not ;)

By asking you guys to valuate the coins that I have got I know if the seller is reliable or not.

I would be glad and appreciate if some of you can valuate my coins (for the first two I have paid more then I thought they should cost - but since I have been told that they are not as cheap as I thought they would be, I paid the price ). :ninja:

Please help me with the coins so I can get an idea on how much they are realy are.

thanks in advanced

TQ

TQ, the seller might be right that catalog book prices can be outdated. However this is something that you must use your experience and judgment to see if something is priced too high or too low. This comes down to what you are willing to pay against other buyers. If others are willing to pay more than you, well you can't really do anything about it can you? If it's priced too high, you can always pass it and wait for another opportunity although it can be possible that you'll never see such a "bargain" again that you thought was too expensive in the past.

I believe most people would be scared to give you a value quote other than what they are willing to pay because everyone's demand is just different. I most certainly don't want to be responsible and be anywhere near you if you overpaid and you get angry at me. Again, you must understand that prices just go up and down - it's a matter of basic economics, supply and demand. Sometimes in a single month, the same coin in very similar condition was sold by different sellers and prices can vary. For example a 1973 mint set that I got last year on ebay was listed three times in a single month. One was sold for 150 dollars, the other for 200 and I paid a mere 50 (I think?). Point is, there are times when two or more people are willing to pay higher price than you and sometimes they don't pay attention because they already have one or don't really care about another mint set.

Price is just something you have to look at the historical pricing and use your judgment to see how hot demand will become. :ninja:

I agree with gx. The price is what somebody is willing to pay. You already bought them, presumably are happy with them, so why are you worried about it now? Put them in your collection and enjoy them. If you paid more than others would...so what? Why do you care? It really doesn't matter, unless you're going to sell them tomorrow and are worried about losing money (maybe you are).

Better to spend your time doing some work thinking about what you want to pay for the next coins you will buy, not these.

Because I have found that catalogues are not always right, And I can't know when the price in the catalogue is correct and when it is not :ninja:

Catalogs are not used as exact price guides, they are used to learn what coins are out there, what the difference between the coins minted in different years is, what coins should look like, what they should be made of, what they weigh, how to tell varieties apart, which coins are common and which are hard, scarce, unique. You need a catalog if you intend to collect coins.

I know absolutely nothing about Russian coins, so I can't help with values. I can reinforce what others have said here. There is no substitute for buying the best references possible, studying them, and then following the market (that includes the discussions here). I've bought $5 coins for $50 that made me feel somewhat stupid afterwards. I've bout $500 dollar coins for $5 that made me feel smug afterwards. In both cases. I felt I made good deals for coins I wanted. With more study and conversation, I've reduced the probablity of paying dearly for cheap coins and increased the probability of making damned good deals. It means studying, reading, and buying books and catalogs to have the ready references available. What I have never done is regreted a purchase that I made because I thought the piece was worth it, even if I later learned I paid too much. In every instance, I paid what I was willing to pay at the time.

What I have never done is regreted a purchase that I made because I thought the piece was worth it, even if I later learned I paid too much. In every instance, I paid what I was willing to pay at the time.

Well said Bill. :ninja:

Archived