CoinPeople.com

My 5kop1764CM - overstrike suspect

sigistenz

Hi Hisa, see here my 5kop1764CM. I did not find any overstrike features myself. Do you find any? Click on the upper rim to enlarge, then on the picture to further enlarge. thank you, regards, Sigi

5kop1764cmfscreeningqf1.jpg

By sigistenz

There is a VERY clear cyrillic "P" mintmark that has been removed from the die.. (former CPM die).

Look to the right of the "C"

Nice coin, Sigi!

Yes, Josh, I know, this is one of my prides. At today's prices I could not afford it any more. Elmen's (very nice, admitted) copper 5kop1760-- fetched $4050!

Just as a point of interest.. how much is a 1764 CM / CPM altered die 5 kopek worth. Can find no price... just a mention in Brekke. thanks

I've seen 6 of the 1764 CPM->CM coins. For example

Conros Monthly Auction (Nov 05), Lot 61, 190USD.

Lanz Auction 124 (May 05), Lot 120, 130EUR

Ekaterina 49 (Mar 08), Lot 128, 125USD

Steve

Woops .. price .. I have two .. mike

The 1997 Brekke supplement lists this over-mintmark on p. 92 as "Brekke No. 203A". Rarity is given as "./" (i.e. very rare, R3 in some references). However, none of the price lists from 1977/87/97 list that particular number.

If you have two of them, I wonder just how rare it can be?

The 1997 Brekke supplement lists this over-mintmark on p. 92 as "Brekke No. 203A". Rarity is given as "./" (i.e. very rare, R3 in some references). However, none of the price lists from 1977/87/97 list that particular number.

If you have two of them, I wonder just how rare it can be?

Ummm....that's different. That's a CM (formerly CPM) where the C is now over where the P used to be (traces of P can be seen under the C). That's rare.

We're talking about the buffed out P, with the C still far to the left, like Sigi's. Much more common.

See Supplement P56.

Ummm....that's different. That's a CM (formerly CPM) where the C is now over where the P used to be (traces of P can be seen under the C). That's rare.

We're talking about the buffed out P, with the C still far to the left, like Sigi's. Much more common.

See Supplement P56.

In fact I don't see any B203A in my archives.

Archived