CoinPeople.com

An exagium

Finally came across one of these....even Bitkin doesnt have photos (only drawings...P869-870, Volume II).

Very nice to see one. Anybody else seen these, or even better own one?

I have see only picture on the Auction or book one time, don't remember which one.

Will try to find the reference, keep you update.

Rarenum.

Finally came across one of these....even Bitkin doesnt have photos (only drawings...P869-870, Volume II).

Very nice to see one. Anybody else seen these, or even better own one?

First one I can recall seeing.

It looks quite worn to fulfill it's intended function of weighing gold coins. Maybe it somehow slipped into circulation and passed as a copper coin of the nearest size and weight?

First one I can recall seeing.

It looks quite worn to fulfill it's intended function of weighing gold coins. Maybe it somehow slipped into circulation and passed as a copper coin of the nearest size and weight?

Thanks Rarenum. ;)

Grivna...yes....you would think these would have been carefully kept in a nice case by whatever official used them. I really don't know much about them...exactly when they were made, how many, who for, where are they now, etc. Another one of those fascinating snippets of Russian numismatics. :ninja: . Perhaps somebody here can tell their story? Perhaps JRNS has something. I'll certainly be looking out for this and others in the series for my archives.

OK. Found another, this one for Alexander I Imperials (Bitkin 1277). The first one in this thread is Bitkin 1276.

Dmitry Markov, New York Sale XII, Jan 2006, Lot 1443 (the images were mis-labeled in the catalog...it really is 1443).

Steve,

1. Was struck by official and used privet and official as weight standard .

2. As far as I know no records was finding.

3. In my collection original book "Russian Ekzagie" publish by Kholodkovskiy in 1912 St.Petersburg" Text in Russian (9 varieties of Russian-Polish listed plus drawings) 19 pages.

4. Possible we can find more information on St.Petersburg mint (all document was transfer from Warszawa mint to St.Petersburg Mint after 1868).

5. I have two varieties exagium in my collection.

6. I have letter from V.V. Uzdennikov to collector regarding my variety in museum(Text in Russian).

Rarenum.

Archived