CoinPeople.com

I really have a hard time seeing this as XF-45...

bobh

numismatic nut, the feedback of Heritage on fleabay is useless. The companys reputation is very good. I would love to be able to afford things they have up for auction. They are one of the top Numismatic Auctions Companys around.

Now, as to whether it is an accurately graded coin or market grading.... I have no clue. I suck at grading cents

I would call it a Vf with a weak strike. I cannot see it being an XF and seems to be a product of rare=overgraded by TPG company.

I would call it a Vf with a weak strike. I cannot see it being an XF and seems to be a product of rare=overgraded by TPG company.

Well, at least a few of us seem to concur here that this coin was overgraded. :ninja: It does happen, but it is especially painful when it happens with a key date such as "THE" 1877 Indian cent.

Unfortunately, it seems that there are different standards of grading depending on the rarity of the particular coin. Appearances would suggest that the rarer the date or variety, the higher the grade, all else being equal.

Not very collector-friendly -- very seller-friendly, however. (Or has anyone come across an undergraded 1877 Indian cent? That is, undergraded by a TPG?)

It doesn't look cleaned but it's only a decent VF at best. Whoever graded it at PCGS must have just watched Peter Pan.

I have found world gold coins in the older small ANACS holders that were undergraded by one or even two points but I have never found an undergraded NGC or PCGS slab.

It doesn't look cleaned but it's only a decent VF at best. Whoever graded it at PCGS must have just watched Peter Pan.

I have found world gold coins in the older small ANACS holders that were undergraded by one or even two points but I have never found an undergraded NGC or PCGS slab.

Subjectivity is great isn't it? Lol.

Archived