CoinPeople.com

Court Declares US Paper Money Discriminates

leethree

Just noticed this news.....More changes in the offing?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_...t/blind_money_1

Comments?

It is my opinion that aircraft manufacturers discriminate against the blind because aircraft are made in such a way so to deprive the blind of their right to fly a plane. Furthermore, quadriplegics are discriminated against by the makers of billiards tables.

If you think these are excessive, you don't know government very well.

Being my Grandmother was blind for the last 34 years of her life, I have no problem with making it easier for the blind to tell which denomination is which. Though she lived alone for many years, a family member always had to be with her when she was shopping and pull out the correct bills. I can't imagine what a blind person, who is completely alone, goes through.

This is something that should have be done YEARS ago by the BEP. It is an easy fix and will make life better for those without sight.

Being my Grandmother was blind for the last 34 years of her life, I have no problem with making it easier for the blind to tell which denomination is which. Though she lived alone for many years, a family member always had to be with her when she was shopping and pull out the correct bills. I can't imagine what a blind person, who is completely alone, goes through.

This is something that should have be done YEARS ago by the BEP. It is an easy fix and will make life better for those without sight.

Swiss paper money has had differently shaped raised markings on all its bills for a long time now to aid people who are visually challenged ... for about 10-20 years now.

Look at it this way: When they started putting the marks on the bills, the exchange rate of the Swiss Franc to the U.S. Dollar was about CHF 2.5 / $1. Now it's approximately 1/1. :ninja:

It is my opinion that aircraft manufacturers discriminate against the blind because aircraft are made in such a way so to deprive the blind of their right to fly a plane. Furthermore, quadriplegics are discriminated against by the makers of billiards tables.

If you think these are excessive, you don't know government very well.

Retarded argument.

Not everyone NEEDS to fly planes, making a plane functional for the blind would require significant technical work.

Money is used by almost everyone on a daily basis, almost every other developed country in the world has had functional user friendly money for the last three decades.

I would dread having to use US banknotes on a day to day basis and my vision is fine! I agree entirely with the decision.

This is going to be very hard to do - how long will it take all of the non-raised/holed pieces to come out of circulation? I agree with whoever said this should have been done a long time ago - how hard is it to stick a hole punch at the end of the assembly line?

about time...simply making them different sizes will solve the problem...

That would also be far and away the most expensive for vending machine operators. Also, unless the current size became the largest size used, there would be tremendous expense for cash register users - might bring back the cigar box cash receptacle for mom & pop businesses!

One time expenses to rectify a problem. Good idea to make the current size the largest if they go that way....or maybe they could just add a little braille on each one if they want to go that way...either way I think its a good idea to make them blind friendly.

I would like to think that a change is in the offing because of this ruling, but look how long it took them to update the currency after the 1929 series! What is amazing is that other much smaller countries did this a long time ago, Denmark stands out. I remember in Denmark they had beepers on all the stop lights in Kopenhagen to let sight impaired people know when to walk. Their money was progressive in size, and had sensitive intaglio printing that was unique to each denomination. Netherlands is another country that up until the €uro introduction had currency that was designed to be distinguishable, and also very counterfeit proof.

That would also be far and away the most expensive for vending machine operators. Also, unless the current size became the largest size used, there would be tremendous expense for cash register users - might bring back the cigar box cash receptacle for mom & pop businesses!

US banknotes are freakishly long in my view, so there is plenty of scope for chopping off a few centimetres per denomination. As to vending machines, try putting some dollar sized paper in the slot... I hope it does not take ;)

Here it is very uncommon for vending machines to take banknotes at all! The ones that do in Scotland (and the wider UK) have to deal with a fair few circulating sets of numerous sizes and colour, there was recently outrage in the Scottish Parliament canteen because a machine there could not cope with more than 16 banknote types and they had no memory to add the new BoS £20 note! :ninja:

The solution to this situation is as follows: Replace the dollar banknote with a coin and stop crying about it! ;) The rest of the notes need to go more colourful and in a "hot and cold" ascension. The notes need a few centimetres copped off per denomination. Then add some unique tactile areas to each denomination. Lower the threshold on older notes being replaced. Welcome to a fairer more convenient America! ;)

I think the smallest demonination American currency note should be the size of a hit of blotter acid.

If you know what size that is, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!! :ninja:

There is good and bad things to say about any rules, laws, etc. Paper money of different sizes would create a massive change in the vending machine buisness and just who would pay for that? Raised letters or numbers would also be an added expense and I'm sure being taxed to cover that would not be something people would want. Now there is the possibility of adding odors to the paper money like a scrach and snif sort of thing but of course the odor would slowing dissipate. Now a possible solution would be to make the money out of edible material so that when you bite into it you could tell what it WAS. Note too that our wallets and other paper money holders are set up for a bill of a certain size. Who would pay China to change all those items since most are made there now.

I know handicapped individuals and for the most part they are happy with all the advantages they now have due to that 1992 act. Also, some of them make fun of us for allowing the handicapped people the luxury of being treated like kings.

In most cities all sidewalks are slanted to allow for wheel chairs. Old people like that too. special stalls in washrooms help older people sit and stand. I'm old and sure wish I could park right by the door of a store. Yes lots of good has come from that law. But our monitary system??????????

There is good and bad things to say about any rules, laws, etc. Paper money of different sizes would create a massive change in the vending machine buisness and just who would pay for that? Raised letters or numbers would also be an added expense and I'm sure being taxed to cover that would not be something people would want. Now there is the possibility of adding odors to the paper money like a scrach and snif sort of thing but of course the odor would slowing dissipate. Now a possible solution would be to make the money out of edible material so that when you bite into it you could tell what it WAS. Note too that our wallets and other paper money holders are set up for a bill of a certain size. Who would pay China to change all those items since most are made there now.

Tosh

As said before, vending machines should be more than capable of dealing with a shorter note, if the companies did not take this into account when they designed their machines then it's their own stupid fault.

Cost of raised lettering? The cost of making a banknote is rather slim as is, adding features like this is not a huge expense, every other country in the world manages it just fine!

Contrary to popular belief, Europeans don't carry a separate wallet for each denomination of banknote.. we had this idea to make wallets that are BIGGER than our largest banknote.. and get this.. all the smaller ones fit in it too!! It is really a sight to behold!! US dollars are freakishly long as it is.. they would get smaller not larger. Don't go throwing your wallet away just yet!

Take it easy Delta, the Americans are just now getting used to colours other than green and black on their currencies, coupled with big head people etc.

BTW if you have seen older British currency, from even in the 1960's it was rather large.

boe51956.jpg

A little bit larger than actual size, and my very FAVE English note of all ever made.

Yeah, sorry if I'm causing any major offence, but it really really bugs me when people don't bother to think about an issue before forming an opinion on it.

We can't do this, that can't be done, it's supposed to be. I swear some people wont be content untill we're running around twatting each other with sticks.

I live in the UK where nobody thinks about anything, our media is just so honest it can be taken as fact! I mean they did tell us that the EU where making bananas straight, banning mince, and making gymnasts wear hard hats and that all turned out to be true! Right? Not to forget they uncovered Browns vicious plot to overthrow Britannia from the 50p coin! :ninja:

I agree on the vending machine argument Delta. Plenty of vending machines in Europe can accept 5 cent coins to 20 Euro bills. And these are everywhere. Some can even give paper money bill change.

It is not a difficult concept. And the cash register argument is even more fecklessly inane IMO. And replacment registers are not needed. In the States a good company will come along and sell inserts for the registers and make money..yay capitalism.

Ciao,

AWACS

Naturally there are organizations that could afford to just change their money type machines to accomodate any changes in our currency. Naturally those not into this buisness can just say things like that since they are not affected. I have a friend that has only 10 vending machines in factories. He works on a small margin of profit. If he had to change all his machines for any reason, he'd be out of buisness. But who cares about the little people, right.

As to even the $2 bill. I tried one in a vending machine that stated it took all denominations. Yes it does. Unfortunately for me that is all it did. TAKE. Gave nothing back. I asked the propritor of the place and he said "A $2 bill! There is no such thing."

You're right! They choose to be visually impaired! Why should they get in the way of rampant profiteering! ;)

Firstly does he own the machines, or rent them? If he rents them it wont cost him a penny. Are the machines only designed for the US market? Chances are they are not and will be more than capable of handling new notes with a minor software update. Did you ever consider that the US government would offer grants to compensate small business to find them self out to pocket due to this change? chances are they would. Do you not find it ridiculous that your country still has such low denomination banknotes? By comparison the smallest banknotes we have in Europe are close to $10, thus our vending machines rarely accept banknotes anyway!

Really, try thinking about things! There are 101 solutions to this problem and all you're doing is trying to find ways to keep blatantly unsuitable status quo! :ninja:

Archived