CoinPeople.com

DoubleStruck Coppers

Bill Snyder

Very nice Bill! I'm sure there are examples of errors that were overstruck to conceal their real fate like the 1763 CM 5 kopek that Steve had. Only time and more research will tell the real nature of what happened back in those days.

Here is a massive failure I have that was struck later:

901661.jpg

I don't think I have any other interesting error coins other than double strike. But wow, really nice examples Bill - never seen them before.

Here are a few more -

Really great coins Bill! gxseries and I had a discussion here a while back about some overstrikes he had. For his theory to be correct it would have required massively off-center mis-strikes in Peter III copper, something I'd never seen before today.

Very very nice! :ninja:

Steve, I'll bring back to the discussion of the 1763 CM 5 kopek - would you happen to be the proud owner of that 5 kopek or happened to know who won that coin? I'm really hoping it happens to be in someone's collection in this forum. I'm more than certain that it is definately an overstruck coin from what I have seen and a hand to hand inspection will really confirm everything. Honestly though, that overstruck coin has features clearer than some of the overstruck coins I have been studying :ninja:

Funny enough, I took a brief look at Rarenum's 1763 CM 5 kopek again for reference purpose and it's yelling the underlying image at me where I missed it the first time ;)

Will be posting the image in a while - Rarenum can you confirm when I get it done?

Old age must be getting to me...which 1763CM 5K are we talking about? I own several but don't recall discussing one of mine here. :ninja:

Steve, this was the original post that I was talking about:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...=1763&st=20

But yes, this message is to all: if you can post extremely high resolution pictures of your CM 5 kopeks, please do so and I'll take my time and look at them - can't let this mystery lay here forever.

And yes, I'm very confident that Rarenum's 1763 CM 5 kopek is an overstruck coin. All points are matching from what I am seeing. Pictures will be coming in the next 10 mins (I hope you don't mind me messing around with your picture Rarenum)

Steve, this was the original post that I was talking about:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...=1763&st=20

But yes, this message is to all: if you can post extremely high resolution pictures of your CM 5 kopeks, please do so and I'll take my time and look at them - can't let this mystery lay here forever.

And yes, I'm very confident that Rarenum's 1763 CM 5 kopek is an overstruck coin. All points are matching from what I am seeing. Pictures will be coming in the next 10 mins (I hope you don't mind me messing around with your picture Rarenum)

Waaah. :ninja: I still can't find any comments/images from me about a 1763 CM. 1766, yes.

BTW, here are my earlier comments about errors in Peter III copper.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=360663

My mistake Steve, it's indeed 1766 - I'm too worked up with Rarenum's 5 kopek that it seems I got the years mixed up ;)

Would that happened to be in your collection or know who has it? P.S. posted a new thread about Rarenum's 5 kopek. Sorry for hijacking this thread Bill ;)

Ah. OK. Well...1763CM's are seen as overstrikes. We know of several examples. It's 1764-1767 CM overstrikes which have never been seen (that I know of). That's why the initial excitement about a 1766CM. If rarenum's 1763 is overstruck, it's a good piece of detective work on your part :ninja: , but I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

The original 1766CM coin I posted? Not mine. Problem is (as somebody correctly pointed out) it wasn't a CM, but a CPM. Not the same thing at all.

Archived