CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

I've had a lot of Bicentennials lately, too -- and in quite nice condition. Other than that, the only recent pull was a Philly Guam SHQ. If I can find Denver issues of Guam, American Samoa, and Northern Marianas, I'll complete the SHQ series from circulation. AtBs remain maddeningly elusive -- I've saved every one I've seen since the series began in 2010, so I can tell you precisely how many I've come across: eight. Six different ones, two duplicates.

Good point. I've come across 3 total AtBs in over three years, and one of those was a buddy exchaning it with me because he knew I was interested. Statehoods are everywhere it seems but these National parks are no where to be found, and I travel all over the US often. Where are they?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So of course the day after I complain about never seeing AtBs, I get a new one -- 2011P Vicksburg MS. Also, (yet) another clean Bicentennial, and a 70D Washer that's in much better condition than it has any business being:

2011P Vicksburg AtB

1017844.jpg

Wow! I wonder when the last time a warship was on a US coin...

As far as I know that was the last US coin to depict a warship.

How's about this one.

2012 Star-Spangled Banner Commemorative Coins

Year: 2012

Public Law: 111-232

Gold Obverse

Designer: Donna Weaver

Engraver: Joseph Menna

Description: Depicts a naval battle scene from the War of 1812, with an American sailing ship in the foreground and a damaged and fleeing British ship in the background. Inscriptions are IN GOD WE TRUST, LIBERTY and 1812 – 2012.

SS2_2012-SSB-gold-unc-obv.JPG

How's about this one.

Gold Obverse

Description: Depicts a naval battle scene from the War of 1812, with an American sailing ship in the foreground and a damaged and fleeing British ship in the background. Inscriptions are IN GOD WE TRUST, LIBERTY and 1812 – 2012.

For a moment there, I thought you were posting this because you'd found one in circulation... :blink:

For a moment there, I thought you were posting this because you'd found one in circulation... :blink:

Me too! He was being kind enough to accept my challenge - the last time a US warship was on a coin.

I'd surely love to have that happen. :shock:

What was the last circulating gold issue in the world, anyway?

Tough question. I think there are still circulating gold coins in some of the Oil Countries.

I've been told that Sovereigns were commonly used in North Africa and Italy during World War II. I'm guessing this was somewhat specialized commerce vs. what I think of as circulating, ie. a trip to the grocery store.

How's about this one.

Gold Obverse

SS2_2012-SSB-gold-unc-obv.JPG

A possible candidate to tie this would be the Canadian $2 of 2012, which depicts the HMS Shannon, and an unidentified ship, possibly the USS Constitution, in the background.

m1860028_119329-pkg_388.png

Tough question. I think there are still circulating gold coins in some of the Oil Countries.

I've been told that Sovereigns were commonly used in North Africa and Italy during World War II. I'm guessing this was somewhat specialized commerce vs. what I think of as circulating, ie. a trip to the grocery store.

Yeah, and Krause isn't clear on the separation between circulating and bullion issues. I've tried googling every way I can think to phrase the search, and I can't get a solid answer. The nearest I get are wishy-washy phrases like "Most nations quit minting gold coins for circulation by 1933" which doesn't tell me anything I don't already know...

somewhat tangent to the ship discussion, though not a US coin it is a US ship:

sunda_5d.jpg

sunda_5d_pack_houston.jpg

I own one of these Aussie commems which has the ship's bell of the USS Houston, which sank with the HMAS Perth at the Battle of Sunda Strait in March of '42.

somewhat tangent to the ship discussion, though not a US coin it is a US ship:

sunda_5d.jpg

sunda_5d_pack_houston.jpg

I own one of these Aussie commems which has the ship's bell of the USS Houston, which sank with the HMAS Perth at the Battle of Sunda Strait in March of '42.

That's a nice WWII memento.

Found 7 Proof Coins, 3 US Territories, 4 Parks Quaters

Mint San Francisco

Obverse

http://i49.tinypic.com/15ezi0.jpg

Reverse

http://i45.tinypic.com/24cchl5.jpg

Type I S - General Circulation

2 Chaco Canyon 1 El Yunque

Type II S - Proof (Matte)

1 District of Columbia, 1 Puetro Rico, 1 USVI

Type III S - Silver Proof

Olympia National Park

Found 7 Proof Coins, 3 US Territories, 4 Parks Quaters

Mint San Francisco

Obverse

http://i49.tinypic.com/15ezi0.jpg

Reverse

http://i45.tinypic.com/24cchl5.jpg

Type I S - General Circulation

2 Chaco Canyon 1 El Yunque

Type II S - Proof (Matte)

1 District of Columbia, 1 Puetro Rico, 1 USVI

Type III S - Silver Proof

Olympia National Park

more proofs all Type III S

http://i45.tinypic.com/wlsv12.jpg

tell me about it I wasn't the only one that was finding them in cashier tills

I've ranted on this before, but it is therapeutic for me so I'll do it again since I am still not over my coin collection robbery even 15 years later.

Rant on/

I too have found proof coins in circulation. some are due to the economy, anecdotally it seems more are popping up these days. I know people that know nothing about coins and have told tales of just popping open their gift sets because they needed cash.

I know of some folks whose children secretly popped open sets for money.... for most likely nefarious purposes or at least alcohol.

But the majority comes from theft. People that steal them actually more often than not do not sell such things but just break and spend. Some coin collecting friends at HPD and STLPD verify that to me in their experiences also.

In the rare instance said coin thiefs are caught, tar and feather comes to mind...rant off/

Nice finds nonetheless!

2009P Puerto Rico, and better yet, 2009D American Samoa which fills a gap! Only two holes left in the SHQ circulation set--both are territorial and Denver mint: Guam and Northern Marianas. Maybe tomorrow when I do laundry and will be getting a LOT of quarters. :)