CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

A woman at work was having trouble getting a dime to go into the vending machine. It was mis-struck about an 1/8 inch off! The lower left of the coin looks like a smooth cresent moon. I traded her for a "good" dime! It is a 1977 Philadelphia mint in otherwise excellent condition.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Can you post a pic? I've never found an error in circulation.

Welcome to CP!

I have been trying to get a good picture of the dime but I guess I don't know what I'm doing. They all turn out terrible. Every close-up has to much glare, every distant shot gets blurry when I zoom in. I'm going to see if I can find someone with a scanner.

Glad to hear about your dime find. I've searched rolls of dimes over quite a period of time and have never found anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally found a local bank that has half dollar rolls! No luck on silver, but at least I have a source, and there was a *very* shiny '71D in there. And I can watch merchants try to figure out which drawer to put the coin in as I spend the non-keepers. XD

Also, got my first Native American dollar - the 2011 Wampanoag Treaty dollar. And a bunch of prexies that I didn't have. I really haven't been paying much attention to the presidential dollars -- I can't say I like the way the gold dollars age. Got a Lincoln dollar that was browner than many a circulated Lincoln wheatie; I don't call that patina, I call that corrosion.

1974 Canadian Quarter

Nice find. I'm guessing Canadian pre-steel coins will all but disappear from circulation in a short timeframe.

got nice lady from local post office saved 15 out of 29 Olympic 50 pence coins for me

Bring her a flower. That's a great collecting helper. Way to go on the 50 pence coins. :bthumbsup:

Finally found a local bank that has half dollar rolls! No luck on silver, but at least I have a source, and there was a *very* shiny '71D in there. And I can watch merchants try to figure out which drawer to put the coin in as I spend the non-keepers. XD

Also, got my first Native American dollar - the 2011 Wampanoag Treaty dollar. And a bunch of prexies that I didn't have. I really haven't been paying much attention to the presidential dollars -- I can't say I like the way the gold dollars age. Got a Lincoln dollar that was browner than many a circulated Lincoln wheatie; I don't call that patina, I call that corrosion.

Silver Kennedys are disappearing rapidly. I've done over $4000 dollars recently with only one 40% coin and no 90% coins. Getting to be far more trouble than it's worth. I do like the designs on the Native American series although I'm sure they'll have the horrible aging color of all the gold dollars.

found this in change three days ago

1005364.jpg

Silver Kennedys are disappearing rapidly. I've done over $4000 dollars recently with only one 40% coin and no 90% coins. Getting to be far more trouble than it's worth. I do like the designs on the Native American series although I'm sure they'll have the horrible aging color of all the gold dollars.

I had no expectation of finding silver. I was just glad to find halves again. I love the looks I get when I spend them.

Whose Congressional district is responsible for the manganese brass the Mint is using? I find it hard to imagine that they didn't know ten years ago how badly the metal ages.

I've been saying for years these coins--as implemented--were an awful idea. (I am not opposed to dollar coins as such, I just don't think this composition and size for them is even remotely ideal.) Even when the coin doesn't turn some hideous shade of brown, they turn to an absolutely drab yellow almost immediately.

Apparently they were done this way so that the magnetic signature and weight would closely resemble the Susan B. Anthony dollar, so that vending machine companies would have no trouble with the changeover. Well they at least got the coin to look different enough from the quarter that people didn't make that mistake any more. But I think they should have felt free (back when dollar coins were extremely uncommon) to go to a different size (smaller) and composition. But a less tarnish prone brassy colored alloy would have been much better.

I personally never receive them in circulation, and never even see them where I live. I saw one the other day sitting in the bottom of a coffee-fund cup at an office, but that was visiting a city that apparently dispenses them from mass transit ticket machines as change.

Nice find. I'm guessing Canadian pre-steel coins will all but disappear from circulation in a short timeframe.

They're already practically gone from circulation - a typical roll from a bank these days usually reveals 1-2 at most.

Smaller? I'd actually like to see them go a little larger. Maybe not all the way back to the crown-sized Ikes, but swap the sizes of the 50c and dollar coins. Or phase out the half-dollar entirely (which if anything gets even less circulation than the dollar) and make that size coin a $2 piece.

I haven't noticed the proof dollars toning in any unfortunate way; it seems to be a result of circulation. It's like as soon as it touches a hand, the alloy reacts badly. Does the Nordic Gold in the Euro coins react the same way, or does that tone/age more gracefully?

• 3 weeks later...