CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1964 Kennedy.

I think I scared the poor foreign lady who dumped her change on the counter for us to count. She had a ton of Kennedys, SBAs and Ikes, but just the one silver piece. So I traded her for it.

P.S. My hubby is a good learner! He brought me home a 1957 Roosie because it "looked different."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Snagged my very first "Professional Life" cent from work today. I'm really surprised at how much detail it has. Makes me wonder how well these coins will hold up to circulation, if they actually do circulate...

Also, snagged a handful of nickels ranging from '41-'59, two bicentennial quarters, and a D log splitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Older coins seem to be making their break from captivity more and more. Oh! To have access to all of the CoinStar goodies.

Tell me about it! I've only made a handful of valuable grabs from circulation ('36 standing liberty half, an '89 proof nickel, and some miscellaneous silvers are at the top), but I have noticed that the proportion of older coins, especially wheaties and nickels from the 40s seems to be on the rise. My guess is that people don't see the point of keeping a penny or nickel that's worth roughly 15 cents, so they just spend them. I still haven't gotten to the point where I could see that being a good idea, though.

Figured I'd go ahead and share with you guys, even though I was not fortunate enough to partake.

When I was cashing my paycheck a couple months ago, it was a slow day and I was talking to one of the tellers (all of whom know me as "the coin guy") about the goodies I had been finding in the rolls from them, and she mentioned that a customer had deposited over $100... in silver certificates. She said that it was almost exclusively $1 bills, and most of them were very lightly circulated, if at all. There were even a handful of star notes mixed in. Of course the next customer walked up and asked if he could withdraw $100 and have those bills, so there were none left to be had by the time I got there.

• 1 month later...

Found in my pocket change last Friday! It's getting very hard to find anything like this in circulation after the Swiss switched from silver to CuNi in 1968:

SWITZERLAND, 5 francs 1966 (silver!)

SWISS_5_Francs_1966_obv.jpg

SWISS_5_Francs_1966_rev.jpg

:ninja:

Nice silver find from Swissland :ninja: Do you ever come across some of the earlier 10 or 20 rappen coins?

The earliest I found was 1908 (10 Rappen) and 1912 (20 Rappen), but pretty worn. I also once found a nice 1967 50 Rappen coin in BU in my change!

But one will regularly find 10 and 20 Rappen coins in change as old as 1930's and later, for example. Silver coins are scarce because the government recalled them in 1968, and being an obedient folk, most people turned them in at the bank!

But one will regularly find 10 and 20 Rappen coins in change as old as 1930's and later, for example. Silver coins are scarce because the government recalled them in 1968, and being an obedient folk, most people turned them in at the bank!

The IRS doesn't think the Swiss were very "obedient" until recently when they started outing the absconders.

Switzerland has to be the country along with the USA where it is possible to find nearly 100 year old coins in circulation, I have gotten a couple of 1909 Lincolns in box searches in the last year, recently my earliest has been a 1926.

Beats Ukraine where only 1992 on up coins are in circulation, but occasionally I have found a pattern in circulation though.

The IRS doesn't think the Swiss were very "obedient" until recently when they started outing the absconders.

Well, they were obedient to their own government, I suppose ... Also, all of the Swiss "CoinStar" machines reject the silver nowadays.

Beats Ukraine where only 1992 on up coins are in circulation, but occasionally I have found a pattern in circulation though.

And welcome to CoinPeople under your new user (AKA "Scottishmoney") :ninja: ... I was wondering if someone had stolen your avatar? (I wouldn't mind "stealing" her myself ;) ... )