CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I got a 1947 Jefferson, a 1988 Canadian quarter and a 2009P Puerto Rico quarter. Also a nice star note for my CP2009 Short Snorter. Not bad for a very slow sales day.

Yesterday I got a 1947 Jefferson, a 1988 Canadian quarter and a 2009P Puerto Rico quarter. Also a nice star note for my CP2009 Short Snorter. Not bad for a very slow sales day.

Good haul. I come across a star note maybe once a year. How close are you to major tourist destinations (Daytona, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Meyers, etc)?

Good haul. I come across a star note maybe once a year. How close are you to major tourist destinations (Daytona, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Meyers, etc)?

I'm about 1.5 hours north of Orlando and about 1.5 hours west of Daytona. Ft Lauderdale is like 6 hours and Ft Meyers ==== maybe 2.5 to 3 hours.

I'm about 1.5 hours north of Orlando and about 1.5 hours west of Daytona. Ft Lauderdale is like 6 hours and Ft Meyers ==== maybe 2.5 to 3 hours.

So no major destinations nearby? I was wondering if a busload of tourists in Ocala was the reason you found that diverse haul.

• 2 weeks later...

War nickels are always cool to find. How do you like that Aldi's? We have one across town and another being built right next to Wally World. Great prices on things like milk, butter, eggs.....

War nickels are always cool to find. How do you like that Aldi's? We have one across town and another being built right next to Wally World. Great prices on things like milk, butter, eggs.....

For the most part Aldi's is great but some of the stuff is of "lesser" quality.

For the most part Aldi's is great but some of the stuff is of "lesser" quality.

Hehe, I live pretty much on the "Aldi Border" - we have Aldi Nord (North) and Aldi Süd (South) here, and outside Germany it's either the one or the other. In the US you have Aldi Süd and Trader Joe's from what I have seen ...

Now how to get this back to coins, hmmm. Ah yes: Over here their biggest competitor in the low price market is Lidl ... and Lidl even sells coins. :ninja: Partly they are pretty expensive, some are in the "ugh" dept. (post-mint colorized coins), and some are OK.

Christian

I got an log splitter lincoln cent down in the Florida Keys from a store near the end of mile marker 1. So I think it's safe to say the new lincolns made it to all points in the lower 48 by now. :ninja:

I got an log splitter lincoln cent down in the Florida Keys from a store near the end of mile marker 1. So I think it's safe to say the new lincolns made it to all points in the lower 48 by now. :ninja:

Haha debatable. Remember that the FKs are one of the more heavily travelled areas. I've still only come across one 2009 coin here in central Virginia (not exactly backwaters).

I've been seeing a lot of the Puerto Rico Quarters, but the pennies and D.C. quarter seem more elusive here in Indiana

I wouldn't worry about the DC quarters, they are ugly as sin. However, I would hold onto the Puerto Rico quarters if you collect the newer junk, they have a pretty low mintage as territory quarters go.

Ok, so I did not find that one in circulation, but one of my coworkers did.

She said that a customer was paying in cash, came up a little bit short, dug around in her purse for a while, and found that one. She looked at it, said it was a terrible shame, but didn't have the time to sell it and couldn't take anything off the order. The cashier traded two quarters for it, and I bought it off of her for $5; just a little under melt value.

So, even though I purchased it, it WAS recovered from circulation.

I've gotten plenty of pre-kennedy halves over the years from work, they are in tills, but circulation none-the-less. I also got a 1929 wheatie in Xf today. :ninja:

Figured I'd share an interesting story one of my coworkers told me. I obviously don't have any proof, but I don't think she was making it up.

Apparently, back when she was working in a restaurant (sometime in the '70s), somebody paid her with a 1795 half dollar. She let her brother's friend take a look at it, since he was a moderately serious coin collector, and he said it was genuine and would grade VG/F. She's kept it in a jewelry box since then.