CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

This is a GREAT topic! Yep, I too have the check-the-change bug! Haven't come across anything lately.

I have in the past, thru banks and retailers, distributed hundreds and hundreds of wheaties in hopes of furthering the collecting bug, but heard nothing from anyone about where did these come from or a "hey look what I found". Wouldn't it be nice if we all would cash in, so to speak, our older unwanted or inexpensive coins in this manner to perhaps garner more interest in our hobby?

I have cans, boxes and bags of wheaties and am going to use them. Maybe these thousands will attract some attention and get someone else interested in coin collecting. Yes, I have checked each one (probably two or three times for the goodies) but there are quite a few in the teens on up with most being in the 40's & 50's.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my latest finds, but just some of my favorite grabs from the past year...

50c_1964D_Re.jpg

50c_1964D_Ob.jpg

Recieved that one as payment from a customer who wanted to annoy me by giving me unorthodox change I wouldn't know what to do with. 1964-D. Nearly dropped a brick. Sadly, the front is a bit tarnished, so it probably wouldn't grade as high overall.

1c_1959D_Ob.jpg

Got that one at the start of the day from the bank at work. I couldn't catch the luster just right with my camera, but it has a brilliant red tone to it. Hardly any signs of circulation.

_IMG_0181.jpg

Got that one sometime last July. The only '38 Jefferson I've ever found. Still has a trace of luster (most old Jeffersons have that gritty brownish color to them), and all four pillars are visible, with some internal detail still discernible.

1D_1935E.jpg

Nearly dropped a brick when a customer handed that one to me as well. She handed it to me face down, and I was counting out all the singles, turning them face up (the cash office gets mad if our registers aren't neat... gives me a good excuse to pick out the goodies), and I noticed that the back was an unusual color. I turned it over, and when the blue caught my eye, I nearly shouted out in front of the customer. I did my best to pretend like nothing was wrong, and changed it out as soon as nobody was looking.

Some other favorites I haven't gotten around to taking a (good) picture of:

'64-D Washington quarter (in so-so condition, but it's the only silver quarter I've ever found)

'46 Rosie that I got in change (I also have '57, '60-D, and '64)

Nickels:

'43-P war nickel (in horrid condition, but silver's silver...)

'46-S

'47-S x 2 (one is in horrid condition, one is in pretty good shape)

'48-S

About 80-90 miscellaneous dates from 1938-1963; nothing too special

'68-S in AU+ condition. Brilliant luster, top two steps fully visible, no other signs of wear.

Nearly $250 worth of star notes. Mostly 20's and 1's. Notable are: $20 series 1999 in fantastic condition, only a slight fold through the center; serial BB00133421*. $1 series 2001, serial G00058974*.

A nice little hoard of small-portrait bills. Most are series 1985 or 88 that a customer gave me when she spent her old "emergency" stash from college. Oldest one (silver certificate notwithstanding) is Series 1969-C $5.

Interesting serial numbers: $50 ?? 00000420 A (I couldn't afford this one, and convinced a friend of mine to buy it from me, but he spent it :ninja: )

$20 Series '96 AI 29222225A ... if only it had 2 more 2's...

$1 Series '06 B 00041222G in crisp uncirculated condition

I don't like dealing with the people on most days, but gosh do I love the perks of cashiering! ;)

A really ugly 1957 silver certificate $1 note from work. It goes into the wallet and will likely end up as someones tip...hehe.

I haven't found much lately, been kinda slow at work, but the occasional silver dime still strolls through my hands.

1941 nickel no mint mark. Silver?

Sadly, no. War nickels were not produced until 1942, and about half of the nickels made in that year are the regular sort. The dead giveaway is the mint mark. You can find it over the dome of Monticello (as opposed to the right of the steps), and it will always have a mint mark, even if it's a P. War nickels have the largest mint mark ever placed on an American coin, so they're difficult to miss.

'41 nickels are a nifty find, but they're generally not as rare as other dates.

Got $14 face in Anthony and Sac coins today. Nothing appears to be special, so I might be releasing a handful of these back into circulation.

Also, recieved a $1 bill with serial number F00008618L (2003A). A tad worn, but the second-lowest serial number I've ever found.

Somebody paid me with a handful of very high-number $100 bills. I coudln't keep any, but one started with 995... It was my understanding that any bill with serial number over 95999999 was sold at a premium as an uncut sheet. Was I mistaken, or have people been cutting their sheets out of desperation?

Finally got around to sorting through the pennies from my neighbor's coin stash. Findings:

Wheat pennies

1952-D

1958-D x 2

1959 (still a fair trace of luster, as a guess I'd put it at AU grade)

1973-S

Germany:

2pf, 1992-D

5pf, 1980-J

1pf, 1981-D (don't ask me how they missed it)

Canada:

1967 centennial (I don't know much about these, but from what I hear, they're fairly uncommon in circulation, especially in Georgia LOL)

Cayman Islands: 1c 1990 (once again, I don't know how they missed it)

And of course, roughly 1,300 that were either pre-1982 or in good enough condition to be added to my collection/hoard.

Oh, and I got a roll of cabin pennies from the bank today :ninja:

I got a proof 1992 nickel out of one of the drawers at work, not exactly change from a purchase, but regardless a neat little find. Makes you curious who broke open the proof set though...

• 2 weeks later...

I find lots and lots of 1 and 2 kopek coins on the ground here, they are worth about 7 and 3.5 to a US cent coin so they often are castoff. But I have found up to 50 Kopeks lying on the ground, they are worth about 7 cents or so. My youngest daughter and I have a competition to see who can find the most coins. So far today, it is about 6:30 in the evening here, I have found three coins today. She has only found one, a 10 kopek coin.

I get a kick out of having to teach people English on the fly around here. Everybody wants to learn American English, perhaps a soon new side job for me.

Yesterday I found a total of six coins on the sidewalks, usually near bus stops. My daughter found two. We are in a serious competition to find as much money as possible. My best find was 5 kopek coin, large silver coloured coin. Hers were two 10 kopek coins which are actually harder to see on the ground than the low value 1, 2, and 5 kopek coins I find.

Lots of smaller value coins here, even 5 kopeks coins are worth less than a USA cent and sort of get thrown away or dropped and not picked up.

Log splitter, as reported in the 2009 coins thread.

Also, is the only way we're gonna get 2009 nickels and dimes gonna be by buying straight from the mint? Lame.