CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

Well, this is not really a circulation find, but as I was driving home tonight from Chicago, I stopped for gas and when I got out of the truck I happened to see something on the ground that looked like money. At first I thought it was one of those fake notes that are used for marketing, so you think you found money but all you found was the address for an oil change place or dry cleaner. So I picked it up and low and behold it was a genuine US $50 note, series 2004A!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

yesterday at work i put a 20$ bill in the change machine and it gave me my change and i put it in my back pocket for investigating later well long and behold i found a 2001s sac dollor!! i couldnt believe it! its been in circulating for awhile because its beat up a little and nicely toned! :ninja:;)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had a pretty long dry spell, but these are the last three keepers from circulation.

From the Post Office stamp machine (and I have always found these murder to photograph).

jqa09img6396ko8.jpg

...and from pocket change

jeff57dimg6403ht8.jpg

Also from pocket change and the BIG haul as it is 90% silver - WooHoo

roo64img6409nx6.jpg

Are silver dimes rare or valuable? I got 2 silver dimes and 2 silver mercury dimes. good?

PS. also just checked my baggy and found 2 silver quarters and 2 silver nickels.

Are these a good addition to a novice's collection?

Silver is always good! Right now the silver value is between 8x and 10x face value, so certainly worth keeping and not spending. As for a novice collection, you have to start somewhere, why not start with what you have already? All of us started a little differently, but most of us started with coins from our change too!

Cool. Once i can get good pictures i'll post a pic of each of mine.

I started from the 10 cent bin of non-us coins at my local dealer. You are doing a bit better than I was during my novice years. Funny part is, I've been collecting for over 18 years and I still hit up that same 10 cent bin from time to time, haha!

• 4 weeks later...

When getting some new president dollars for a fellow board member at the bank yesterday, I got 15 Ike dollars too! I gave 10 to a coworker who uses them for her kids (tooth fairy money plus chores), and her son is becoming quite a collector, so anything to help the next generation of numismatists!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was having dinner at the Big Boy in South Haven Michigan on Tuesday night and the two ladies at the booth next to mine were having a conversation about a "funny" quarter, I asked if it was Canadian and they said no, so I asked to look at it, and sure enough it was a 1957 silver quarer. So I told them it was silver and worth a lot more than a quarter, and that they should definitely not spend it! They appreciated the info and put it in the "safe" part of her purse.

I was having dinner at the Big Boy in South Haven Michigan on Tuesday night and the two ladies at the booth next to mine were having a conversation about a "funny" quarter, I asked if it was Canadian and they said no, so I asked to look at it, and sure enough it was a 1957 silver quarer. So I told them it was silver and worth a lot more than a quarter, and that they should definitely not spend it! They appreciated the info and put it in the "safe" part of her purse.

She should have put it in a safer place by giving it to somebody that cared about it - you! :ninja:

Went through a bag of nickels for my neighbors before they took them to the coin star. Approximately 8-12 pounds of nickels.

Findings:

1939-P

1940-P x 2

1942-P (this was blackened, but no mint mark... not a war nickel :ninja: )

1953-P

1955-D

1957-P

1958-D

1959-D

1960-D

1961-P x 2

1961-D

1962-D x 2

1962-P

1963-D x 2

1963-P

1965 x 2

About 20 1964's (I was curious so I set them aside and counted them before putting them back)

1969-S x 2

1970-S x 3

And about a roll and a half of the Westward Journey nickels, most of them only lightly circulated.

Not a bad haul for an hour's work, if you ask me.

About a week ago, I went through my grandfather's old jar of change. Found TWO 1940-S nickels (in good condition or worse... there was no trace of the pillars on Monticello), a 1947-P and a 1948-P. I'm coming incredibly close to completing the entire series from circulation... still need to find a handful of mint marks, '44 and '45 war nickels, and '50 (I'm not holding my breath for getting '50-D from circulation).

On Friday, I stopped by the White Castle to get some lunch when the woman in line in front of me got her change and said, "Oh, look! I didn't know they had new pennies!" and since I was paying with credit I turned right around and bought it from her. She may have thought I was a little psycho.

Does that count as finding in circulation?

Went through a bag of nickels for my neighbors before they took them to the coin star. Approximately 8-12 pounds of nickels.

Findings:

1939-P

1940-P x 2

1942-P (this was blackened, but no mint mark... not a war nickel :ninja: )

1953-P

1955-D

1957-P

1958-D

1959-D

1960-D

1961-P x 2

1961-D

1962-D x 2

1962-P

1963-D x 2

1963-P

1965 x 2

About 20 1964's (I was curious so I set them aside and counted them before putting them back)

1969-S x 2

1970-S x 3

And about a roll and a half of the Westward Journey nickels, most of them only lightly circulated.

Not a bad haul for an hour's work, if you ask me.

About a week ago, I went through my grandfather's old jar of change. Found TWO 1940-S nickels (in good condition or worse... there was no trace of the pillars on Monticello), a 1947-P and a 1948-P. I'm coming incredibly close to completing the entire series from circulation... still need to find a handful of mint marks, '44 and '45 war nickels, and '50 (I'm not holding my breath for getting '50-D from circulation).

Great haul! I like that Ss still exist!