CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

My first foray into getting rolls from the bank was a little odd. The teller didn't speak english very well and the first time she came from the back she brought with her some 50 cent pieces and old nickel dollars. Her heart was in the right place, but eventually I did manage to get $20 worth of penny and nickel rolls.

Unfortunately 4 of the 5c rolls were all 2007's. I did find one penny needed for my collection (1983 near beads) and a very large number of american cents. There weren't any wheats, but there were three in the 1944-1960 range. About 25 different dates in all, more than enough to start a collection of them, hehe.

As far as the nickels went, I found just about a whole roll worth of pre-1982 100% nickel pieces. Now if only I knew where to go to get someone to pay me more than double face value.. lol

KR, where are you from? You speak of nickel dollars, pre-1982 nickel pieces, and pennies mitned between 1944-1960 that AREN'T wheats. Canadian? Your avatar on the side here doesn't say.

Otherwise, good job with the hunt. I should do that again. It's been a while.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Lincoln was a cross dresser, I doubt the 83 "near beads" would be a US coin. Who knows in todays random coin titles though right?

Yes, I am Canadian. I'll be in vegas in a couple months, I might need to take some trips to the bank there to hunt for some wheats, buffalo nickels and Sac/Prez dollars. Although I can't be too greedy, I think there are limits on how much my luggage can weight :ninja:

Updated my location as well.

Yes, I am Canadian. I'll be in vegas in a couple months, I might need to take some trips to the bank there to hunt for some wheats, buffalo nickels and Sac/Prez dollars. Although I can't be too greedy, I think there are limits on how much my luggage can weight :ninja:

Updated my location as well.

Haha. thanks, KR. We Americans are pretty self-centered, especially in the coin world.

I am hooked, I picked up another $20 worth at a different bank. $14 in nickels and $6 in pennies. I found a couple wheat cents (1948 and 1953-D) and then cracked open a roll and saw this...

goldnot.JPG

Gold! Well not really.. Just a 2005 Brazillian 10 centavos :ninja: Still very surprising to find in a roll of pennies though. It is quite a bit thicker and the color is much different.

Found my first '08, a 1954-D nickel (nothing exciting but I thought I might need it for the ol' album) and - although it's not a coin, a 1963 dollar in very crisp condition. Is that worth anything?

It made no difference, conversely USA coins are very common in Canada. Once you get more than a couple of hundred miles away from the border the Canadian coins become a lot less common. Here they are ordinary change, even when the Canadian $ was at 62¢. If anything I am noticing more Canadian change these days, which is a good thing, because they are coming over and spending their money here locally taking advantage of now lower prices, but stimulating our miserous local economy. We have told our Canadian relatives they have free room and board here if they are coming shopping:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While working in the liquor store of a small Canadian town a few months ago, my mother found three silver coins (which were given to me of course). Two Canadian quarters (1958, 1959) and one US mercury dime (1936, no mintmark). Someone must have raided a very old piggy bank to pay for their booze that day. If only they knew they gave up about $6 worth of silver for that beer, lol

Today I was at the Meijer buying a few groceries, and at the self scan my total was $24.53 so I put in two tens and a five and got back 47 cents, once I looked at my change I knew something was odd and sure enough the machine gave me a 1964 dime! My first silver in quite some time!

Today I was at the Meijer buying a few groceries, and at the self scan my total was $24.53 so I put in two tens and a five and got back 47 cents, once I looked at my change I knew something was odd and sure enough the machine gave me a 1964 dime! My first silver in quite some time!

Couple of weeks ago I got two silver dimes in 1.5 weeks, like they are coming out of the woodwork lately. With the economy shafting I believe we will see lots of older stuff that people held onto come into circulation, or up for sale soon.

Something old and something new:

Usually I get my new quarters/dollars at the bank in brand new rolls but somehow the kids at the all night skate got New Mexico before the bank did...

Also, LAST sale of the shift, girl comes up and drops what sounded like a half on the counter - she had wanted a $1 soda but only had two quarters, one of which was a 1964! I lent her the extra 50 cents and took my new silver :ninja:

Not really a found in circulation, but.. Dropped by the bank today looking for some rolls. The teller popped out an original obw George Washington dollar roll. I wonder if that had been hiding at the bank or some one turned it in?