CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

1930 Buffalo nickel the other night, been quite a long time since I've found one of those!

We also had someone try to pass a fake $100.00 note, it was dated 1977, looked pretty real, and was even printed with engraving plates of somesort. The only problem was it looked "flat" and our fake bill detector pens, which are normally useless, actually came up as a fake for once, lol.

It almost got accepted, until the cashier that was counting the money for his western union asked me to check it out. I compared it to a real one he also handed the cashier, showed him the differences, and gave it back. Our store policy isn't to call the cops, which is stupid if you ask me, we shoulda busted him right there. The guy claimed his bank gave him it (very doubtful), and I told him it's fake, take it back to the bank. Now, because we had his information I sent it off to the higher powers in Washington through the criminal reporting network from western union. So if he is a known person, he will hopefully be investigated.

It was the best counterfeit note any of us had seen in quite a while, but it was still obviously fake. I would love to put my skills against one of those "super notes" that were made in Asia a few years back. I wonder if I would really be able to tell the difference?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1930 Buffalo nickel the other night, been quite a long time since I've found one of those!

We also had someone try to pass a fake $100.00 note, it was dated 1977, looked pretty real, and was even printed with engraving plates of somesort. The only problem was it looked "flat" and our fake bill detector pens, which are normally useless, actually came up as a fake for once, lol.

It almost got accepted, until the cashier that was counting the money for his western union asked me to check it out. I compared it to a real one he also handed the cashier, showed him the differences, and gave it back. Our store policy isn't to call the cops, which is stupid if you ask me, we shoulda busted him right there. The guy claimed his bank gave him it (very doubtful), and I told him it's fake, take it back to the bank. Now, because we had his information I sent it off to the higher powers in Washington through the criminal reporting network from western union. So if he is a known person, he will hopefully be investigated.

It was the best counterfeit note any of us had seen in quite a while, but it was still obviously fake. I would love to put my skills against one of those "super notes" that were made in Asia a few years back. I wonder if I would really be able to tell the difference?

Great story, V. How could you tell it was a fake?

Great story, V. How could you tell it was a fake?

Like I said the bill detector pen didn't turn the right color, so that right there was a major red light. But that isn't what made me think it was fake, because some older real notes don't turn the right color either. It just looked way to flat, Franky had no volume to him, he just looked odd. There was also a lack of color saturation throughout the note, and the green seal had a different transparency than a real note. I am certain that type of counterfeit gets passed through everyday commerce without being detected by the average person though, it wasn't completely convincing, but darn close.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing my rounds of the banks in town to collect all of the half dollars I could find, I came across one Eisenhower that the teller "couldn't get rid of" and, out of about 40 halves, one 1964-D Kennedy :ninja: Felt like the trip was worth it, even though according to some tellers someone had just come in and cleaned them out of halves.

• 2 weeks later...

blargh. I've never found anything that interesting... The oldest penny i've ever found was a 1943. It must be some mistake because most of the 1943's I've seen are steel colored.

I also found a 1974 penny that was kind of silvery too.

And a 1955 that looked really blurry.

Oh and a old dollar dated 1804

and a dime dated 1894-s

and a dollar dated 1964

and a 1933 $20 gold coin. I bought a lot of gum with that one!

There you go! Enough sarcasm so noone will look silly.

Got a 1939 and a 1947-D nickel yesterday but I already have those holes in my album filled :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

a few days ago i was working by a bank in columbus ohio and i had to get a 25$ box of pennies and i found an very good batch almost 70% of the pannies were copper!!! and i got almost 20 wheaties 18 can pennies and a 1993 pennies from panama!!

blargh. I've never found anything that interesting... The oldest penny i've ever found was a 1943. It must be some mistake because most of the 1943's I've seen are steel colored.

I also found a 1974 penny that was kind of silvery too.

And a 1955 that looked really blurry.

Oh and a old dollar dated 1804

and a dime dated 1894-s

and a dollar dated 1964

and a 1933 $20 gold coin. I bought a lot of gum with that one!

Since you already have all this stuff I'll have to come up with something different for your contest winnings.

How about a roll of 1964 nickels?

Since you already have all this stuff I'll have to come up with something different for your contest winnings.

How about a roll of 1964 nickels?

I'm okay with duplicates of what I listed :ninja:

Checking through my lovely wife's change this morning, found a 1939 Lincoln cent. Of course she was scolded, because she would have likely spent it. :ninja:

And now a 2008 dated Canadian 10¢, my first 2008 dated coin from circulation, and from Canada! I usually do not ever get current date Canadian coins.

Find of the month:

So a kid came up to the counter at work and dumped a shirtful of quarters onto the counter (ended up about $20 worth). Immediately I swept over (of course, while in the middle of completing a sale) and snagged four silver pieces. I was elated the whole night - partly because I could recognize them so easily.

Unfortunately, I suspect these were originally from someone's collection because they are in excellent condition and were accompanied with some brilliant early State quarter designs.

1964, 1963-D, 1959, 1959-D

Ah, I made a USPS worker happy ... Bought some stamps at a fairly busy P.O. but the guy sort of checked the coins I gave him. "That is a silver dime, Sir," he said. Right, it is, but a pretty darn worn one, I was tempted to reply. But I just said he could of course keep it. He also found a quarter featuring two locomotives and something that looks like a big nail to be quite interesting. "Hey, what is that?" I pointed at the top where it said UTAH. :ninja:

Christian

Does your spouses pocket change count?

My hubby went to LA to meet with the big bosses and he came home with a few cents, and one was a well worn Lincoln Mem.

The others looked suspiciously like the ones I turned into our bank a few months ago. Which is odd because we live about 100 miles north of San Francisco... :ninja:

corky

Note overly exciting but I received a 1929 (P) US 1 cent in change today. Of course the P mint was 185,000,000 mintage so it is not worth much but a keeper for me nonetheless.

Ciao,

AWACS

Gotta love getting wheaties in change - especially pre-1930 - wonder where that one has been.

My first foray into getting rolls from the bank was a little odd. The teller didn't speak english very well and the first time she came from the back she brought with her some 50 cent pieces and old nickel dollars. Her heart was in the right place, but eventually I did manage to get $20 worth of penny and nickel rolls.

Unfortunately 4 of the 5c rolls were all 2007's. I did find one penny needed for my collection (1983 near beads) and a very large number of american cents. There weren't any wheats, but there were three in the 1944-1960 range. About 25 different dates in all, more than enough to start a collection of them, hehe.

As far as the nickels went, I found just about a whole roll worth of pre-1982 100% nickel pieces. Now if only I knew where to go to get someone to pay me more than double face value.. lol