CoinPeople.com

Dutch or German?

hiho

I bought this the other day from a friend, I liked how it looks and he really needed the money to buy gas being on a fixed income.

1914JeMaintiendrai.jpg

I had to research this to verify that is it from The Netherlands and not Germany, I wasn't aware that the Dutch issued penning coins.

Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I'm told it is fairly rare.

The lion does look a bit like the ones on the Holland duits. Then again, the Dutch love their lions...

I found it on one Netherlands site in VF condition and it goes for about 20 euro. It may be a one year type.

I think mine grades between XF - AU (my scans don't show the details) but I paid $70.

May have overpaid a few bucks but the seller is a good guy on a fixed income while I still have a steady job.

"JE MAINTIENDRAI" is French, it means something like "I will not give up" (someone knows a better translation? My French is not that good..)

I took a look at Google and found this homepage : http://dutchrevolt.leidenuniv.nl/Aufstand/...aintiendrai.htm

this homepage is German.. but it says, that this motto is used in the Netherlands since 1813.

Marvin

Steunpenningen were issued to raise money for the victims of wars and natural disasters -- in this case, WWI. It was designed by J.C. Wienecke. And I like it. :ninja:

You can say that again, and again. Beautiful medal.

Steunpenningen were issued to raise money for the victims of wars and natural disasters -- in this case, WWI. It was designed by J.C. Wienecke. And I like it. ;)

Oh, it's a medal. Now I realize why I couldn't find it in my Krause catalog.

"Je Maintiendrai," actually translates to "I will maintain" which is the motto of the House of Orange and Nassau, the Royal Family of the Netherlands.

Thanks everyone for the great research. I'm liking this piece more and more. :ninja:

Oh, it's a medal. Now I realize why I couldn't find it in my Krause catalog.

Guess that for somebody who is well acquainted with the English "penny" or the German "Pfennig", the Dutch word "penning" is a little confusing. The first two refer to (former or current) monetary units and actual coins. The Dutch word "penning", however, does indeed mean "medal". (Not necessarily but usually.) And "steun" means "support", so ...

Christian

Archived