CoinPeople.com

Numismatic bugbears...

so? you bid on the auction ... the seller is clearly engaging in fee avoidance. if you felt it was a bad deal then why did you bid?

I've never bought/sold/bid on anything on eBay. What do you mean by fee avoidance?

I've never bought/sold/bid on anything on eBay. What do you mean by fee avoidance?

ebay charges fees on the amount of the sale, not on the amount of post+pack ... so many sellers boost their shipping charge to make a little extra outside the ebay fee structure.

this is not allowed, and sellers who do this can lose their right to sell on ebay. i report this when i find it.

Slabs are probably my biggest bug-a-boo. I've purchased 20 or so coins over the years in slabs and have gotten pretty good at busting the coin out. Since I'm in the business from the collector side I don't want a piece of plastic but the coin inside. To me it's like those folks that collect Mint in Box items. Sure, you can sell them for more but you also obviously never played with the toy. WTF?

Slabs are probably my biggest bug-a-boo. I've purchased 20 or so coins over the years in slabs and have gotten pretty good at busting the coin out. Since I'm in the business from the collector side I don't want a piece of plastic but the coin inside. To me it's like those folks that collect Mint in Box items. Sure, you can sell them for more but you also obviously never played with the toy. WTF?

I appreciate raw coins better than slabbed ones. I had the distinct pleasure of doing my first crack out on a 1707 British Crown from Edinburgh recently. When I read up on cracking the NGC slabs, I have a $20 from 1899 that I bought recently that I will liberate also. Slabs are nothing more than tools for speculators, I am a collector not an investor.

I don't like slabs...at all. But I do have to admit that as far as authenticity of the coin is concerned they are very helpful.

My biggest peeve as far as numismatics is concerned is sellers who don't know the difference between errors and die varieties. When I do a search for errors I don't want to see doubled die cents. I don't want to see overdates. I don't care if there is a die gouge. These are all die varieties, not errors. Coins struck from these dies replicate EXACTLY what the mint meant for coins from those dies to produce.

Do not like sellers who refuse to show only stock photos that do not match the item or do not show a clear viewable photograph of a product.

Do not like sellers who refuse to respond to you when you have a problem with an order or auction win.

Do not like sellers who do not respond to you when you 'ask a question about this item' before it actually sells.

Do not like sellers who change the shipping cost after you win an item, or demand payment immediately which negates multiple item shipping discounts, when one orders multiple items from a seller during the same session.

Do not like sellers who offer second chance offers that are considerably higher priced than your last bid just because the actual winner decides they cannot afford or want the item they hiked up the price on. There is something about this practice that I feel borders on dishonesty.

These are the type of sellers that get put on my 'do not buy from again' list.

I appreciate sellers who are personable, honest, and reasonable. Yes, there are quite a few on the ebay auction venue that fit this description. They are also the same sellers who will believe you when you contact them that something is missing from the order, or you did not get the exact item they were selling. I appreciate sellers who are willing to work with you when you 'goof-up'.

I like being as honest as possible with sellers and everyone else I deal with in the marketplace. I only wish more of them were worthy of of my respect in their dealings with me.

A few times I have received an item that I had not won, whether it be mis-marked, or more of the same thing that I know I did not order.

I have always contacted the seller as quickly as possible after my discovery and make arrangements to return their property. In all cases the seller has been very grateful. My reward for being honest is knowing I have done the right thing.

One needs to earn the other's trust, both in selling and in buying...

Almost without exception, every time I buy from fellow forum members I have been very pleased with the transaction.

Thank You to all you sellers who are honest and understanding! :ninja:

corky

Do not like sellers who change the shipping cost after you win an item, or demand payment immediately which negates multiple item shipping discounts, when one orders multiple items from a seller during the same session.

Bang on there. I had one of those recently, he was the one who claimed I wasn't paying when I told him I was about to - what he did was to change his tune from the original $4 airmail to $15 when I didn't pay his invoice after the first few days because I wanted to grab a hoard of bargains... then I think it increased to $20+ suddenly ....

Well, for all the slab bashing, I guess I can see your point in a way, certainly for my modern coins, they are raw and in albums and not in slabs, so the vast majority of the number of my coins are not in slabs, but nearly every Saint I own is slabbed and will stay that way. This is because slabbed Saints are much more saleable than raw ones, expecially among the key dates. That's not to say I don't feel a bit of frustration when I see a 2008 pennie that is selling for oodles of money just because it's encased in plastic with a certain number on it! It just depends on what you collect is all, so I hesitate to pronounce judgement either way.

As for things that bug me, the worst is when buying from some dealers, their coins are all "PQ" but ever try to sell, and your coins are nothing but dogs...

Oh yeah, and as for shipping, sometimes I think we lose perspective too...today I attempted to order a new burner for my gas grill and for a 5"x24" burner for $39 they wanted to charge another $15 shipping, plus another shipping charge for another $15 part. I think I'll just buy a new grill...

As for things that bug me, the worst is when buying from some dealers, their coins are all "PQ" but ever try to sell, and your coins are nothing but dogs...

Ditto on that one ... all of a sudden my coins get these HUGE rim dings that I never noticed before!