CoinPeople.com

Numismatic bugbears...

NumisMattic2200

Now don't be angry if you are in opposition to my feelings about these numismatic unnecessaries, I am making this list just for fun :ninja:

So here are the things that I find totally unnecessary/annoying about the nummy hoarding business

First up, Slabs what on earth are they for? Merely for a seller wishing to aggrandise their coin by placing it in a bit of fancy presentation packaging and you can never fully examine the condition of the coin through the plastic glaze...

Next thing that springs to mind, the concept of Rolls - rolly polly-olly! ;)

what on earth is so special about the notion of a stack of coins one on top of the other with the surfaces eternally rubbing across each other? And yet, people seem to go absolutely crazy at the sound of them... coin rolls... yummyyyyyyy.. ;) does it sound like some kind of fast food? :>P

And they are all the same type???

Apart from these big-hitters, we have a menagerie of other things I could do without;

All fakes in general, except from replicas that are labeled so and the state of China for producing worryingly well made ones of them :D

Dodgy dealers and their often dodgy prices :D - they exist, they've got to earn money and some people have got to give it to them :D

EBAY

Oh yes, that most perennial bete noire of coin buyers alike...

Sellers of fakes!! Not much more to say is there? Though a helluva lot more could be said...

As the Persian saying goes (to males) "may a fart be upon your beard.." (yeah, at least)

To females it is "may shit be in your hair.."

Other coin tricksters and funny do-ers..

Those that sell one coin or a limited number of coins out of a large lot of 100's and suck you in; extra-coin incrementeers who ask for a dollar per extra coin and the stuff they're selling is only going for a couple of bucks anyway; users of stock photography, those that won't combine postage at all!; takers of blurred photographs who actually have much better camera skills... (and many, many more..)

-----------------------------

Things I love! :D

Verdigris ;) - good old fashioned, natural-green copper rot! mmmm... natures inter-action of time, metal and poor hydration ;) - there could be nothing more authentic, could there?..

Bargains - ebay's only strong point

Making money on reselling them

Dealer's cheapo-trays when the price is low...

Finding rareties in bulk-lots

Acquiring an admirable collection! :wub:

I've got to agree with you on those. Personally I stopped buying and selling on eBay, not for good, just for now.

The fees are too much lately and the shipping prices are rediculous.

A lot of my currency comes directly from the UK or Africa...there are only about 3 African sellers that don't charge $30 shipping for a small stack of bills...basically my purchases are limited.

Slabs, obviously some people love them. I am NOT one of them. I have slabs, but I don't think they are worth their weight in plastic. I want to replace them with the capitol screw post holders when I get the time to.

I've got to agree with you on those. Personally I stopped buying and selling on eBay, not for good, just for now.

The fees are too much lately and the shipping prices are rediculous.

A lot of my currency comes directly from the UK or Africa...there are only about 3 African sellers that don't charge $30 shipping for a small stack of bills...basically my purchases are limited.

Slabs, obviously some people love them. I am NOT one of them. I have slabs, but I don't think they are worth their weight in plastic. I want to replace them with the capitol screw post holders when I get the time to.

Can you PM me your African notes sources pls? I am really interested in that whole continent, I was looking up Gabon notes the other day after Survivor announced that is where the next episode will be, and they have amazing currency.

I have to say that I loathe slabs, but then again I am a hammered lover and so do not see the point of putting a Medieval coin in a plastic coffin... As Dave often says, they're my coins and I don't care much as to what other people think they grade at!

As to eBay, a great place for me to buy, but to sell? No way, I have cut down my listings considerably now and just sell from my site and to friends/contacts, I get the prices I want without paying any extortionately high fees!

You could maybe build a secret bunker in the centre of your mansion and nobody would ever know they were there.

If I ever strike it rich I will certainly be doing that! Didn't a large amount of the CC Morgan dollar hoard come from some criminal who did that?

Not to be contrary but I like slabs. I have a nice run of IHCs in early ANACs slabs. These go back to when ANACs was known for their accuracy on copper coins. If you notice old ANACs slabbed IHC command a decent premium these days.

Ebay - I love it. I've purchased there and sold there and have not been "taken". Of course, like with any dealer, you have to exercise care.

S&H fees, I believe, are just starting to come in line with what it really costs to package and ship an item. If you look at what commercial establishments charge you might find that low S&H of the past was being covered by the large price profit sellers were making. With higher fees more are passing this on to the customers.

I am new to numismatics and I don't mind slabs at all. In fact, I quite like them (assuming by slabs we mean good TPGs, not no-name worthless ones). I do most of my buying online (usually ebay) so having a solid 3rd opinion on both the grade and authenticity is very important to me for my more expensive purchases.

You could maybe build a secret bunker in the centre of your mansion and nobody would ever know they were there.

Didn't a large amount of the CC Morgan dollar hoard come from some criminal who did that?

Yes, it was a criminal by the name of the U.S. Treasury Dept.! :ninja:

Damn you Bobh, stop giving out State Secrets, you know the Feds are going to find you in Helvetia. You would think with your knowledge of Russia etc. that you would be better about withholding this information. ;)

Ok, I'll run this by you.

I won an auction ao ebay for $0.01 . The shipping was $8.99!!!!!!

Also, I kind of like slabs. They make me feel good. So I send in a really nice looking mecury dime. Comes back AU-55! (If any one heard a really loud scream on Monday, it was me). Happened to me wth a kennedy half dollar too. So call me twice bitten third time shy when it comes to slabs.

I like getting odd stuff. Like half a role of silver dimes; or random stuff like that.

http://www.binioncollection.com/CoinWorld.htm

Actually this is the one I meant. Some 100,000 coins, but not CC's specifically.

Although for hoarding valuable silver and then selling it years later to reap the benefits does seem a bit underhanded of the ol' red white and blue, eh?

OK, I have one, no sense of scale in the pics on ebay. I just got a beauty of a Russian coin, but it's considerably smaller than I thought. No big deal really, (I know it's on me to know what I'm buying) but would it be that hard to list the size?

OK, I have one, no sense of scale in the pics on ebay. I just got a beauty of a Russian coin, but it's considerably smaller than I thought. No big deal really, (I know it's on me to know what I'm buying) but would it be that hard to list the size?

What type/year/mintmark is it? Do you have the item number or a link to the auction handy?

Hey I LOVE Slabs. They provide me the fastest selling on ebay anything could offer! If there weren't slabs I wouldn't be able to sell some coins for half the price they go for. Sure it's bad for the buyer, but excellent for the seller. (sometimes it helps the buyer though, ex. to guarentee authenticy).

For me slabs are a mixed lot. Second or third level slabs you can get bit on or pick up a good deal if others aren't bidding on it since its in a odd slab. NGC and PCGS its a race. According to how the graders felt that day.

I won an auction ao ebay for $0.01 . The shipping was $8.99!!!!!!

so? you bid on the auction ... the seller is clearly engaging in fee avoidance. if you felt it was a bad deal then why did you bid?

Archived