CoinPeople.com

Is this a Fake ?

sylabyss

I myself am leaning towards a harshly cleaned original proof. From 1879-1891 these SL half dollars were minted in rather diminutive numbers, with a larger portion of that, about 20% of the mintage being proofs. In 1879 5,900 halves were struck in Philadelphia, and 1,100 of them were proofs. This coin appears to be one of those 1,100 proofs, that someone at some point decided needed to be harshly cleaned. As such it's value takes it down into the mid circulated grades for this piece.

Here is an image of my 1880 in proof for comparison:1880 Proof Half Dollar

It looks real to me, but has definitely been cleaned. Depending on what you paid, it's still a very nice coin though.

Genuine. Its a cleaned proof made from heavily polished dies. The squared off rims give away the proof status. The drapery under the elbow is the first thing to go when the dies are polished.

The question is, did you pay the price of a proof...even impaired proof for it? They list for around $3,000 is PR-65. Obviously this would be well below that because of the damage though. Perhaps impaired PF-60 since it is still UNC in terms of actual circulation?

Toss it on eBay and your likely to double your money lol. People eat that stuff up regardless of condition.

I agree with gp & Dutchman -- but did you weigh it? Chinese counterfeits (that's almost being redundant) usually weigh far less than the real deal...

Archived