CoinPeople.com

1797 My Element is Freedom, Brunswick-Luneburg

brun97o1.jpgbrun97r1.jpg

brun97o2.jpgbrun97r2.jpg

brun97o3.jpgbrun97r3.jpg

If you study each of them you'll see that while the first two were probably struck from the same dies the third is distinctly different on the obverse and possibly the reverse. The middle one came with a letter from the Smithsonian Museum from 1963 where they wrote that the piece was a game token from Brunswick-Luneburg and that there was no apparent significance to the 1797 date.

While I could see this being a counting board jeton I cannot imagine where the idea that it was a game token came from. I believe that brass tokens of this sort were produced for games from about the 1840s on but I've never actually seen one of those Victorian era games. There's every reason to believe that these are contemporary with their date as others of similar design were definitely produced around 1800-1803.

Anyone with further knowledge, ideas or images please chime in... :ninja:

The Brunswick - Lüneburg Line produced many kings including Frederick William III of Prussia who ascended the throne 1797. Perhaps these jetons/counters are for that event? If so, they would be contemporary with the date. The symbolism of the eagle is similar to this medal of Frederick the Great another of the Brunswick - Lüneburg Line. Even REX NATURA is a similar motto.

943737.jpg

Fredericus Borussor.Rex (Frederick II King of Prussia) by I.D. Issued for his accession to the throne 1740. Copper 55mm.

The white horse of Westphalia was used in memory of the horse ridden by the Saxon King Widukind (Wittekind) in his war against Charlemagne circa 800. It was used by the Hanoverian monarchs as well as Westphalia part of Prussia. Another reason to suspect this is an accession or coronation token.

• 2 months later...
While I could see this being a counting board jeton I cannot imagine where the idea that it was a game token came from. I believe that brass tokens of this sort were produced for games from about the 1840s on but I've never actually seen one of those Victorian era games. There's every reason to believe that these are contemporary with their date as others of similar design were definitely produced around 1800-1803.

Anyone with further knowledge, ideas or images please chime in... :ninja:

949806.jpg

Obv: DIE FREIH EIT IST MEIN ELEMENT. L. Rev: MIT FROHEN MUTH. IETTON. Brass jeton by Lauer 25mm circa 1800's

This jeton is not dated and the legend is different. It is also struck on a thin planchet. So I assume it is from a later date but is it a Brunswick-Luneburg token? Not much help I know.

• 10 months later...

c. 1797 Freedom is My Element, Bruswick-Luneburg

965698.jpg

Details

Actually I *do* think this could date from 1797. Obviously there was an occasion that I've yet to discern but I can't see the reason to continue producing variants after the fact. Adjustment marks on a jeton or token suggest something produced on a contract. I say that because it seems to me if Lauer were selling directly to the public they wouldn't scratch the design elements up. On the other hand if you are producing something for someone else at so much weight per jeton then adjustment marks make sense at least from the producers' standpoint.

Archived