CoinPeople.com

1750 Netherlands 14G NGC MS62

LostDutchman

Gorgeous, Matt! You've had a lot of nice old world coins in recent months. Do you have a loyal customer for such goodies?

as for a specific customer... no, not really... I have just always liked older world stuff. I dont really like the modern (last 100 years or so) world coins... and the stuff that I do like.. is pretty pricey... hahaha

... I have just always liked older world stuff. I dont really like the modern (last 100 years or so) world coins...

Exactly. ;) Coins made prior to the steam press have just a touch of crudeness which lends them some character as well as more artistic designs. There's just no comparison between a City View Thaler and the slugs world mints churn out today for circulation. It's like the difference between the Mona Lisa and a Dogs Playing Poker painted on black velvet. :ninja:

Later coins are too "perfect" and pretty much all look the same except for mostly insignificant differences you need a microscope to see. ;)

Matt, I hope you are aware that this is a 1960 restrike and not the 1750 original. The restrikes are coming out of the woodwork lately since gold went up.

On the reverse of your coin, just below the "14" and the "GL." you will notice two mintmarks, a fish and a staff. These were put on the restrikes to differentiate them from the original issues.

Here is an original from a recent Goldberg auction without the extra marks.....

image03919.jpg

I own two of the originals, a 1750 and a 1760. I also own several 1750/1960 7G and 14G restrikes, I think they were nicely made and are definitely collectable.

If you want to sell this piece (or trade it for something else) PM me with a price and I'll see what I can do.

In MS62 the restrike is worth about $400-$475 while the original would go for between $900-$1400.

Matt, I hope you are aware that this is a 1960 restrike and not the 1750 original. The restrikes are coming out of the woodwork lately since gold went up.

On the reverse of your coin, just below the "14" and the "GL." you will notice two mintmarks, a fish and a staff. These were put on the restrikes to differentiate them from the original issues.

Here is an original from a recent Goldberg auction without the extra marks.....

image03919.jpg

Uh-oh. :ninja:

I think the fact that is a restrike is significant and should be noted on the slab. The fact that it isn't is quite disturbing.

Uh-oh. :ninja:

I think the fact that is a restrike is significant and should be noted on the slab. The fact that it isn't is quite disturbing.

Good point. I'm pretty sure that NGC usually does state it on the slab. Perhaps they have mad a mistake in this case.

i wasn't aware of this... that is good to know ;) thanks for the information...

My pleasure. And yes, you have stumbled on my one area of expertise. :ninja:

Sometimes the slabs indicate the restrike, sometimes they don't.

Depends on NGC's mood I think...and proves ScottishMoney's credo "Buy the coin, NOT the slab".

Believe it or not, Heritage made the same mistake as Matt.

In their new 2008 Long Beach World Coin Auction catalog (a beauty) they show a 1750 7G Netherlands Gold Rider.

Once again careful inspection reveals the telltale fish and staff mintmarks on the reverse.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?S..._No=52400#photo

I have informed them of the error.

I would like to thank both Heritage and Matt for making me feel smart, as lately at work I have felt like my brain is on strike...

hey, no problem ;) Thanks for the tip...

I watch your back, you watch mine.

It's dangerous out there these days... :ninja:;) ;)

Archived