CoinPeople.com

An interesting coin

This is very nice! I only saw this a few times and had one chance to buy which I blew. Congratulations on a very nice and rare coin.

Maybe a silly question, but is this a coin made from the dies that belonged to CPM and then were altered for CM mint, or did the P just fall off the coin?

Also, Mike I saw you bought that CPM 5 kop overstrike, congrats! I had my eye on it but alas my economic stimulus is spent :ninja:

I did purchase this coin from the same seller though, go ahead count the wings ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120255903871

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, I'm afraid there are samples of 5 kopeks that weight easily more than 60grams, but rarely anything over 70grams, much less any closer to the sample that I own: 76.4grams... :ninja: Thickness of about 5.5-6mm.

902435.jpg

Does make you think for a while what kind of edging technology that had back those days - I'm sure it must have been able to do about 1cm thick.

Alex, I'm afraid there are samples of 5 kopeks that weight easily more than 60grams, but rarely anything over 70grams, much less any closer to the sample that I own: 76.4grams... :ninja: Thickness of about 5.5-6mm.

Does make you think for a while what kind of edging technology that had back those days - I'm sure it must have been able to do about 1cm thick.

;) 76.4 grams! That must be some kind of a record!? I have one that weighs half as much, but I’m sure there are skinnier pieces around.

Here's a piece that you people might find interesting. This is a 15 kopek coin from the USSR 1925 with what appears to be a minting error.

USSR 15 Kopek 1925-Obv.

USSR 15 Kopek 1925-Rev.

Obverse- Enlarged

If you look at the enlarged image of the obverse side, you'll notice a mirrored image of the 'OPEE' of KOPEEK in Cyrillic lettering between the hammer and sickle and the sun.

A die clash!?

Thanks. I was trying to remember the type of error this was. That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a coin got stuck in the die, and embossed part of the reverse pattern into the obverse side during the striking process. Why more of the reverse pattern isn't showing, however, is not clear.

Thanks. I was trying to remember the type of error this was. That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a coin got stuck in the die, and embossed part of the reverse pattern into the obverse side during the striking process. Why more of the reverse pattern isn't showing, however, is not clear.

As was explained to me earlier, a die clash is when 2 dies collide without a coin planchet between them. This collision damages one or both dies living a partial coin like imprint on the damaged die(s). So when a coin is struck with such a die, it leaves an imprint amidst the expected design details. On the over hand if a coin gets stuck in the dies (brockage) one side of a coin is completely replaced with a mirror imprint of the coins over side.

Check out this thread:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...20&hl=clash

As was explained to me earlier, a die clash is when 2 dies collied without a coin planchet between them. This collision damages one or both dies living a partial coin like imprint on the damaged die(s). So when a coin is struck with such a die, it leaves an imprint amidst the expected design details. On the over hand if a coin gets stuck in the dies (brockage) one side of a coin is completely replaced with a mirror imprint of the coins over side.

Check out this thread:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...20&hl=clash

That makes alot of sense about how the dies get damaged. Thanks for the info. :ninja:

Archived