CoinPeople.com

My last fantasy designs

frizio

Way cool! I think we should have a PCI/PBI for fantasy coins/notes. I know SM puts out a nice Mucha (that's his name, right?) inspired note ever so often.

I think the problem is the designers computer needs to be updated to be able to use cyrillic characters, I had to do that with one of my older PC's once so I could write emails etc. in Russian.

Somewhere last year I installed Japanese capability on my computer the program is called Applocale japanese

My neighbor is Japanese

I am sure it works for Russian too Applocale and then somthing

The second link should get you to Russian but you better read the complete instructions

http://www.metacrawler.com/info.metac/clic...codepage-trick/

http://www.metacrawler.com/info.metac/clic...ols/apploc.mspx

I think the problem is the designers computer needs to be updated to be able to use cyrillic characters, I had to do that with one of my older PC's once so I could write emails etc. in Russian.

Maybe so, but I don't think that Cyrillic characters would be used on coins (of whichever currency) from Montenegro. Now Bulgarian coins apparently have either the country name (България) or the name of the central bank (Българска народна банка) it seems ...

Christian

Maybe so, but I don't think that Cyrillic characters would be used on coins (of whichever currency) from Montenegro. Now Bulgarian coins apparently have either the country name (България) or the name of the central bank (Българска народна банка) it seems ...

Christian

Well the paper money you spend had to have the Greek characters on it, because unlike the rest of the EU to that time, Greece used a different alphabet. However with the expansion of the EU Cyrillic characters will likely be on their coins. I don't think at this juncture that there is any great risk of the Cyrillic using nations in the ex-Jugoslavija joining the Euro band anytime soon so that is probably moot. So far of the ex Jugoslavijan states only Slovenija has, Croatia wants too, and doesn't Montenegro use Roman characters in their alphabet? IE Crna Gora is the national name there.

doesn't Montenegro use Roman characters in their alphabet? IE Crna Gora is the national name there.

That is exactly what I meant - Cyrillic characters would not be used on coins from Montenegro. So yes, the country name appearing on pieces from there could be "Crna Gora" and maybe "Montenegro" too - see this recent stamp from the country. And yes, surely Bulgaria would use Cyrillic characters on euro coins if the country ever issues any. To those coins the same rules would apply that currently apply to the coins from Greece with their Greek characters.

The notes are a different issue: Apart from updated maps, the new series of euro notes would probably have the word EURO in Cyrillic too, and various versions of "ECB" would be added ...

Christian

Was reading today in the news about some of these €uro wannabees, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, that are finding that it is tougher getting into the €uro band than they thought it would be. Also countries like Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal are having a tough time with their economies and would have ordinarily devalued their currencies in these situations to deal with it. But being in the €uro, they cannot. Now Germany has a strong economy, paired with Denmark, and Sweden and Finland. This is causing something of a divide in Europe right now.

Sure, governments that are used to devaluation as the only or primary means to influence the economy should think, or actually have thought quite a while ago, about such strategies again. Provided their countries currently are, and plan to continue being, members of the euro area, that is. An alternative could be to leave the currency union and maybe stay in the exchange rate mechanism. Would be costly for such countries, sure ...

As for the "wannabees", the Czech Republic is certainly not among them. :ninja: And the others - well, one problem is that, once a country has joined Euroland, there is not that much the European institutions (Council, Commission, etc.) can do to make sure that the stability criteria are met. That is why, in the case of EU member states that are in ERM-II and plan to join the currency union, meeting the convergence criteria is considered so important.

Christian

I do not think that countries that consider being able to devalue their currency think of the long term consequences of it. Yes, it is a quick fix, but it is like putting a bandage on a gaping wound and expecting it will heal. All of the countries that are having the problems lately are countries that have in the past devalued their currency to take care of the problem, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece certainly did it in the 1980's. On foreign exchange rates from that time, you can see how all four currencies dropped precipitously in value. It made for a quick fix, but made it more difficult when they had to institute fiscal discipline to join into the €uro. Now 10 years in, the pressure builds, so politicians start mouthing off once more about how bad the Euro is, and it would be better to have Lire, Franc, etc. Even France is apparently griping lately. Sounds like the EU has some agitation by some members to join the USA in fiscal irresponsibility and enormous debts etc.

Archived