CoinPeople.com

Massachusetts Bay Terecentenary 1930

bill

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peabody is a town bordering Salem. I believe the image is a church steeple of a church in the town square, still trying to track this down for sure. Pond cataloged all the known pieces in The Numismatist over a year in the early 1930s. He started by cataloging a collection gathered for a report to the state. I don't know that he actually considered pinbacks because none are included in his cataloging efforts. As I have been building my collection, so far I've only come across pieces he cataloged with the exception of the pinbacks. Maybe we are dealing with a change in collecting tastes of the broader definition of exonumia. In any event, I'm including pinbacks in my collection.

• 5 weeks later...

Tercentenary Marine Committee

Pond 36

Silver, 32 mm x 44 mm

N.G. Woods & Co., Boston

175 struck

955322.jpg

Presented by the Boston Yacht Club for the Midsummer Series races held on August 13, 1930. Presented to Brutal Beasts 1st Division. In addition to appearing on Pond 1 (see first entry in the thread), the design appears on award plaques and silver trays and a book cover (embossed design).

Pond 25

Silver-plated Bronze, 32 mm

Whitehead and Hoag Co.

About 5000 struck

959704.jpg

Standard Commemorative medal modified to create a Host Badge for Winthrop's centennial celebration, August 2 - 9, 1930.

3036300507_9f4a6f0b2a.jpg

The house on the reverse is one of the six oldest in New England. Built by Captain William Pierce, one of the original Winthrop land owners. His widow transfered the house to Deane Winthrop, son of Governor Winthrop, in 1647.

• 3 weeks later...

An unlisted commemorative pin from Medford, Massachussets. Medford is north of Boston on the Mystic River. The pin shows a ship under construction in dry dock. The commemorative inscription is on the reverse.

956394.jpg

Pond 10

Gilt Bronze, 32 mm

Cammall Badge Co.

5000 Struck

3090018665_80332a5388.jpg

964502.jpg

The old Powderhouse was built between 1700 and 1720 as a grist mill. Massachusetts purchased the structure in 1747 and converted it to a powder magazine. In 1822, the structure and land were sold to the Tufts family and it became a historic park in 1894. The medal pictured here has been incorporated into an American Legion badge.

I later added the unmodified medal to my collection.

This is an neat collecting theme. The medals are beautiful. How many items can be id'd with Pond #s?

67 plus a few varieties -- so about 75. One could decide to exclude sports awards and reduce the numbers by a few. I've included pinbacks which he does not list, but I don't know why. I'm assuming they were not traditional exonumic items at the time? He does not cover the badges either. He worked from a collection that was formed by someone else, so who knows exactly what determined what was in and what was not. The theme, however, is nicely defined by 1930. I've also been collecting programs and commemorative books published for the occasion to provide background for the medals.

• 3 weeks later...

Pond 24

Bronze, 32 mm

Whitehead & Hoag Co.

10,000 Struck

957545.jpg

The ship "Eagle" was purchased by the Massachusetts Bay Company and rename Arbella in honor of the wife of Isaac Johnson and daughter of the Earl of Lincoln. The Arbella transported Governor Winthrop, a number of colonists, and the company charter from England to Salem in 1630. Two copies of the charter had been signed by the king, one sent to Massachusetts and one retained in England. With the arrival of the "England" copy of the charter in 1630, governance of the colony was formally transferred from England to Massachusetts, a step in creating independence for the colony.

• 4 weeks later...

Pond 23

Gilt Bronze, 32 mm

Whitehead and Hoag

3000 Produced

958395.jpg

An interesting image of an Indian, but somehow it does not quite work as the artist planned.

Pond 18

Gilt Bronze, 32 mm

Whitehead and Hoag

5000 Produced

958397.jpg

City of Fitchburg medal. The large stone on the reverse was known as the Rollstone. It was deposited on top of the hill by a glacier in the last ice age. It has since been moved.

This is a nice series on this theme. Keep us updated. Are you going to do your own ebook?

Its been in the back of my mind. One of those retirement projects that I'm looking forward to.

• 1 month later...

A small brass pin, not in Pond. Somewhere one crosses a line that is no longer exonumia. I think everyone's line is different. I've included this piece because I've included other pinbacks:

959692.jpg

Pond 6

Bronze, 32 mm

Cammall Badge Co.

2500 struck

959714.jpg

Town of Holden First Meeting House. In 1736, the town of Holden built their first house of worship. It was torn down 50 years later because of advanced decay and a new church built on the site. Th original building is pictured on this medal.

I like the rectangle pin a lot, bill.

Yeah. Whether I thought it fit or not, I was going to buy it. I like it as well.

• 1 month later...

Pond 62

Silver-toned Bronze, 62 mm

Straker and Freeman, North Attleboro

believed fairly large number struck

961817.jpg

Perhaps harder to locate than Pond assumed.

and Pond 60

Bronze, toned, 26 mm

987442.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Pond 26

Tumbled nickel finish, 30 mm

Whitehead & Hoag Co.

22,000 struck

943490.jpg

Obverse: The seal of Worcester, WORCESTER'S / CELEBRATION / OF MASSACHUSETTS / BAY / TERCENTENARY.

Reverse: Pine Tree shilling copy.

Pond notes these were said to be widely distributed to school children.

Added by lanceroy: Yes, they were distributed to schoolchildren with a short information sheet detailing the history of the coin. It also states that these coins were given to all Worcestor children from grade 2 through junior high by Mayor O'hara. My dad was one of those children.

Thanks Lance. I like knowing the history of the pieces. It makes them more interesting.

Added by lanceroy: Yes, they were distributed to schoolchildren with a short information sheet detailing the history of the coin. It also states that these coins were given to all Worcestor children from grade 2 through junior high by Mayor O'hara. My dad was one of those children.

• 5 weeks later...

Danvers, Massachusetts

Brass Shell Pinback

Whitehead and Hoag, Newark, NJ

964496.jpg

Danvers was the site of the one of the witch scare events and one of the original "witch" houses still stands. I've not yet done enough research to determine who is pictured on the pinback.